We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

My mom and I are flying in Nice for the first time in the middle of July. We are going to stay in the area for 5 days, 4 nights. We'd like to stay at a Bed and Breakfast in St-Paul-de-Vence, make it our base so to speak. Could anyone recommend a nice Provencal Bed and Breakfast in St-Paul-de-Vence? Our budget is no more than 150 euros per night.

Also, I've noticed that most of the B&B lodgings are located on hills. We were not planning on renting a car. Are there buses or taxis available for tourists to go from B&B, hotels into the city and back? We've never been in this area and would appreciate your help, comments and suggestions. Merci!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

To get you started:

You are really going to need a car for most locations outside the village itself. The bus stops as it climbs the hill to St. Paul from Cagnes sur Mer and you might be lucky and find a B&B within walking distance of these stops, but I can't say I've ever read about one. Perhaps you will hear from someone who might have a suggestion.

For B&B's in the Cote d'Azur look at this link:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187216-c2-French_Riv…

You can narrow your search to St. Paul de Vence, and see if you get any clues about access to public transportation in the reviews.

On Google Maps, you can find a location's proximity to a train station by search "Gare XXXX," typically the nearest coastal town, and the address of the B&B. Bus stops are a little trickier and it will take an expert to help you with that.

Perhaps, look for something in Vence, a town that sits above St. Paul and is on the 400 bus route.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 17:42
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

Note: The 400 bus runs from Nice to Vence, past St. Paul and Cagnes sur Mer, the nearest train station to St. Paul. You can view the route on this link by entering the route number in the search box along the right margin:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

In the middle of July--very high season--you may have difficulty finding lodgings in your price range, especially around St-Paul. There aren't many, if any, B&Bs near St-Paul; so I think that your best bet would be in and around Vence.

You asked about getting into the city from St-Paul: do you mean Nice, Cannes, or somewhere else? There is good bus and train service in the Nice region. I think you'd be better off staying in Nice, as your options for lodgings will be much better. However, you do need to get reservations ASAP.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

I agree. It will be easier to just stay in Nice. Thank you.

I see that you are an expert on Grasse. We plan on taking a day trip to Grasse. Any recommendations while we are there? Thanks again.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

In Grasse you could visit the excellent International Museum of Perfume, which has exhibits of perfume-making equipment through the centuries. One of the best exhibits is of perfume bottles dating as far back as ancient Egypt, and on the top floor you can visit a scent garden. Be warned: the gift shop closes from noon until 1 p.m.

On the main street leading from the underground parking lot is a good shopping street, including a Longchamps boutique and a stand-alone Fragonard. Farther along the street you will find scented soaps, candles, Provençal linens, still more perfumes and colognes, and much more.

There's also the very interesting Museum of the Art and History of Provence, with furniture, costumes, and much more--including a fine collection of bread cabinets mounted on walls. The Fragonard company has a large operation in the same area, with the chance to make your own perfume. The company kindly offers good restrooms off the bus parking lot at the bottom of the building.

Finally, there is the Cathedral, which dates back to the late 10th century.

While in the area you might also enjoy visiting the glass-blowing atelier below the perched village of Biot. You can watch the artisans at work, see the adjacent museum, and browse the large gift shop. Just across the way is the superb International Art Glass Museum, and a small restaurant, La Vessaillerie, much favored by locals; go early.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

This is very helpful. Thank you for your advice and recommendations.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

You're very welcome. Let us know if you have additional questions.

9. Re: Where to stay in St-Paul-de-Vence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St-Paul-de-Vence