We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon

Which St-Paul-de-Vence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Avignon

I plan on travelling from Nice to Avignon by train. I will only have one day in Avignon. What could I see, visit in such a short time? Also, could you recommend a nice authentic French restaurant in Avignon, not chic but the one where locals would go to eat. Merci bien!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon

A day is about right for Avignon; you can see the major sights, beginning with the Palais des Papes. Be sure to visit the church up the plaza to the right as you exit from the Palais, and then continue up the hill to the Rocher des Doms, a lovely garden with a fine view of the river Rhône and the famous bridge.

If you like art, Avignon has a fine museum: the Musée Calvet. There are many other sights, including the old town, and you can find them in the Michelin Green Guide to Provence's extensive section on Avignon.

Helpful hint: there are good public toilets reached by stairs near the carrousel in the main plaza.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon

Thank you so much! I appreciate your time and advice. Should I buy the train ticket (TGV) in advance or the day I leave at the train station? Do you have any idea how much a train ticket from Nice to Avignon would cost? Thanks again :)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon

I can't help with the trains, but some of our experts can when they see this post.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon

For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which usually has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

If you have problems buying from voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which links directly to the SNCF ticketing system. It is only in French, but translate.google.com would probably allow you to follow it. www.loco2.com is a UK site, so there is a small conversion cost from € to £, but it is in English and has French prices.

The full price for Nice-Avignon is €63, but advance purchase tickets start at €20 if bought 3 months before travel.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon

ochumako - are you planning a day trip- ie returning to Nice the same day?

when are you travelling?

how many people/ages?

are you planning other trips by train when in Nice, if so , which trips?

Edited: 04 May 2013, 08:40
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon

This is so helpful! Thank you :)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon

Got it all figured out. Thank you for trying to help :)

Edited: 06 May 2013, 19:56
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon

Thank you.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon

Great! This helps. Merci.

10. Re: Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about St-Paul-de-Vence