We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Paul De Vence-Help!

Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
St Paul De Vence-Help!

Hi, I am due to stay three nights at the end of July in St Paul De Vence however since reading the forums I am a little worried about the lack of things to do in the evening. My partner and I are in our 40's so dont want it to be very lively but we do enjoy having a walk and finding little rustic places to eat and have a drink in the evening. Have we made a mistake with our location? From what I can see the buses do not go in and out of Nice later than 9? Any help or views of people that have stayed greatly appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

There indeed is not a whole lot to do in St-Paul of an evening, at least after the first. I'd suggest taking the bus up to Vence at least one evening, and during the day you might consider Tourettes-sur-Loup (again by bus). You can of course walk around St-Paul, but the village isn't really very large. We had a problem finding places to eat in the evening; those open were already full when we got to them.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

The much larger neighbouring Vence will definitely have a far larger choice of eating places and bar/cafes. The handful of restaurants in St Paul de Vence like the Colombe d'Or have not only world class cuisine but world class prices. Unfortunately your imagined cosy rustic inn is hard to find in a place like St Paul which thrives on huge tourist traffic during the day but is very quiet at night. The compensation is the fabulous view from the town's Ramparts as the sun sets tinging the neighbouring villages with gold.

Ed

Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

Thank you for your replies. Luckily our booking has an option of cancellation. My next dilemma is to re book, but where?!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

At this point, wherever you can get a booking! Most of the desirable places will already be full up. You might do best to check one of the booking sites, like venere.com, to see what's available. Nice just might be your best option., unless by some miracle you can find space in Villefranche-sur-Mer. Or Valbonne, which is a very pleasant small town with a number of good restaurants.

Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

Thanks, there are a few hotels in most areas at the moment. If we went for Nice what area is it best to be in?

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

Try the Au Picardy, very rustic very cheap , so you will have plenty of money for day trip,s etc. you can google the U Picardy Hotel and book direct with them Have A Great Time

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

Somewhere near but not in the old town (can be noisy) or the Place Masséna, within a few blocks of the Promenade des Anglais, would put you near the center of things.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

I had a conversation with the owner of the Hotel Darse in Villefranche last week, who said that she had one or two rooms not yet booked for most nights in July and August. Villefranche would give you a calmer experience than Nice but with access to the city by train until late in the evening. If you prefer a luxury hotel the Royal Riviera in Beaulieu is also a ten minute walk from the train.

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

Saint Paul de vence merita una visita, eccome! Io vi tornerò per rivedere la FONDAZIONE MAEGHT e la CAPPELLA DEI PENITENTI BIANCHI di Folon (peccato che pochi la conoscano...è strepitosa!)

E poi... a Vence come trascurare la CAPPELLA DEL ROSARIO di Matisse?

10. Re: St Paul De Vence-Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about St-Paul-de-Vence