We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

tempe, az
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

We'll be on a cruise next month and docking in Nice for a day. Originally planned on train/bus to SPdV, but the more I read, the more it sounds touristy and crowded. We'll be spending the day before in Aix (opposed to Marseilles). Worth our time? Stay in Nice and hit some museums? Other closer/easier to get to towns/villages?

thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

You won't be docking in Nice. You'll anchor at Villefranche and tender in.

NIce is vastly more interesting than the very touristy St. Paul de Vence.

Make sure that you spend some time in lovely Villefranche as well.

It's just a few kms to Nice from Villefranche.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Paul de Vence
Saint-Paul de Vence
2,855 Reviews
St-Paul-de-Vence, France
tempe, az
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

No, we are docking in Nice, not Villefranche, at Terminal One.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

When most cruise itineraries say Nice....the ship actually stops in the deep water harbour in Villefranche.

Easier for you to explore NIce then if you will already be there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

What rube time are you docking and how much time do you have ? Villefranche is also worth a visit.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

Hello,

I just got back from a European trip and spent 4 nights/5days in St. Paul de Vence. I did notice a lot of tour buses roll into town and take people on guided tours. I have also been to the Riviera on a cruise (about 10 years ago now) and went on a half day outing to Monaco. Having just spent time in this area, I covered a lot of the local towns. Not sure if your ship is offering the excursion to Villa de Ephrussi Rothschild, but I highly recommend checking that out if you can. You can look it up online to see what it's all about. Also, I loved the Renoir Museum which is in Antibes. That's pretty close to where you will be. Most of that area can be canvased by train/car in relatively short order, as the towns are rather small. I did not spend any time in Nice other than passing through via train. We focused on Antibes, Beaulieu sur mer, Cagnes sur mer, Monaco, Cannes and St. Paul de Vence. It really depends on your interests. This town is mostly an old fortified village with ramparts and is home to Marc Chagall's grave. Other than those two sites, the rest of the town is really all about shopping for art.

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Paul de Vence
Saint-Paul de Vence
2,855 Reviews
St-Paul-de-Vence, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Cagnes-sur-Mer
Cagnes-sur-Mer
Cannes
Cannes
6. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 02:35
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

Just to correct something in hjhoosier's post which otherwise gives excellent advice......the Picasso Museum is in Antibes, Renoir's house is in Cagnes sur Mer.

BTW while I would spend a couple of hours in St Paul de Vence I would consider 4 days overkill. It is always busy especially in the morning when most tours arrive -I have seen it so in January -however it is quite idyllic if you can be there towards sunset.

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Saint-Paul de Vence
Saint-Paul de Vence
2,855 Reviews
St-Paul-de-Vence, France
8. Re: Day trip to St. Paul de Vence or stay in Nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2016, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about St-Paul-de-Vence