We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

I will be going to the South of France in October 2017 (9/10 to 14/10) and will spend two days in the French Riviera including a day visiting Saint-Tropez by boat. I am wondering if I should stay in Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime bearing in mind that I and my family will have to fly out of Nice airport in late afternoon on the 14th. Reading the forum topics on Saint-Raphael, I know it is easier to travel to Nice airport by public transport but I would be very grateful to get expert advice if staying in Sainte-Maxime is better than in Saint-Raphael. Many thanks in advance.

10 replies to this topic
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
1. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

St Raphael is absolutely better if you want to travel by train to Cannes ,Nice,Monaco etc where there are hourly trains along the coast.Ste Maxime has no train station. Additionally Ste Maxime is very much a family summer resort so will be almost dead in October.

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Won't be dead but quiet. There's still local life. But would prefer Saint-Raphael, too.

Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Thank you. When I searched for hotels Sainte-Maxime seem to have more choices in October, perhaps it is quieter! It has a shorter boat journey to Saint-Tropez though.

Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Thank you tplus. I wonder how long it takes and how easy to travel to Sainte-Maxime by bus or car if there is no train from Saint-Raphael.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Sorry, no idea. I always drive.

When you search for hotels e. g. at kayak.com check the map where the hotels actually are.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
6. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Bus 7601 goes from Ste Maxime to St Raphael. Timetable on the Varlib (local bus company) site. Fare 3 euro. Regular, but like most French buses, finish early.

Ed

Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Many thanks for your info. I am so undecided but maybe I will pick a hotel in Saint-Raphael and take a boat to Saint-Tropez.

st.catharines
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

Hi, Wondering about your trip to Saint-Raphael vs Sainte-Maxime. We are in the same position, trying to decide between the two. Had a booking in Saint-Maxime that was cancelled by the owner and now are trying to find a place to stay in the general area for 8 nights. Prices have increased since our initial booking. We are looking at an apartment in Cap Esterel vs an apartment on Avenue Georges Pompidou in Saint Maxime. Our original booking was overlooking the harbour and I like the idea of at least having a view of the sea, which Cap Esterel has. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

We decided to stay at St Raphael simply because there is a train station, and there is a bus station next to the train station from where we could take a bus direct to the Nice International Airport and to St Tropez. The streets and beaches of St Raphael are unbelievably clean, I didn't see a piece of rubbish on the beach, I am glad I picked St Raphael instead of Sainte-Maxime.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?

...which isn't filthy, either.

Reply to: Saint-Raphael or Sainte-Maxime?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted