We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Raphael or St Maxime

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
St Raphael or St Maxime

We are planning a trip to South of France at the beginning of July. We have 3 nights in Montpellier and 4 nights at Gorge Du Verdon but would like to spend 5 nights on the coast too. We are thinking of taking 2 nights in Antibes and then 3 nights in either St Maxime or St Raphael. I'm not sure if 2 centres are needed or not and which to go for. We like a nice town with a bit of nightlife (we're 2 girls in our 30's - handsome french men a bonus!) but also the opportunity for some walking and maybe watersports. Any recommendations? (Already done Nice, Cannes, Monaco so would like to go somewhere new). Thanks!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

Don't know how you're getting around but assume you have a car ( Ste Maxime doesnt have good public transport) as you are going to Gorges du Verdon - in which case Ste Maxime will be fine for you. It will have the kind of night and beach life associated with a summer resort. Easy reach by boat of St Tropez. St Raphael is a bit bland and I can't see many people recommending it altho the beach at Boularis is very nice but does not attract a young crowd.

Along the coast Juan les Pins ( Antibes' twin town) probably best falls into your category of beach and night life and yet is very close to all the other tourist spots on the Riviera.

Ed

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

Thanks for your advice. I think we'd like to visit Porquerolles island so I maybe antibes will be a bit far for that day trip so perhaps we will opt for Ste Maxime instead. Do you know if Ste Maxime and Ste Raphael are similar in terms of nightlife? Not looking for clubs just some nice bars and choice of restaurants - I'm vegetarian so fine dining isn't really on the agenda in France!

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

Hi,

If you're set on visiting Porquerolles (i'm a big fan of the Hyères Islands, outside of mid-summer when they're crowded), I would pick Ste Maxime over St Raphael for its proximity with St Tropez and closer distance to the Hyères Islands (though of course, Hyères is closest).

I would also recommend you keep Antibes or even Nice on your agenda if you have time. The eastern side of the french riviera is more "cultural" than the western side: more museums, more restaurants, more events. The western side is more "nature" with gorgeous coastline (esp. the Esterel mountains by the sea) and some nice sandy beaches toward St Tropez and its peninsula.

You won't find many vegetarian restaurants in either St Raphael or Ste Maxime, but most menus include large specialty salads such as the Salade Niçoise (with tuna & anchovies) or grilled veggies.

In general, Ste Maxime is more upscale than St Raphael.

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

Thanks for the advice - we have now opted to stay in ste Maxime for 4 nights - we have 3 nights in Montpellier, 3 nights in gorge du verdon and 2 nights in Luberon (Roussillon) so hopefully we have made good choices! Agree about Nice and Antibes being great places but I have already visited them on a previous trip so I'd like to see something new this time. Last trip we also went to gorge du verdon but unfortunately it poured with rain so we cut short our trip - this time hopefully we will do the sentiner martel trail. If we have time I'd like to fit in seeing the esterel coastline but it may be a squeeze! I am used to a limited diet when travelling so I'm sure I'll survive - I don't eat fish either so pizza, pasta or salad it is if I'm lucky. I'll make up for it by enjoying the wine!

cold up north
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

My wife and I are considering a one week stay at the Camping Douce Quietude on Boulevard Jaques Baudino just outside St. Raphael. We won't be hiring a car and intend to use public transport. I have tried to find out if there is transport from the campsite into St. Raphael, i.e., is it on a bus route? If not, how much should we expect to pay for a Taxi into town? Any insider advice for day trips( as we like to get out and about ) would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Mark.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

In answer to Cornelius, bus No 6 is about a half kilometre walk away and runs approximately hourly during the working day only. I have no knowledge of taxi fares but French taxis are expensive, so I'd guess between €10-20 per journey. Do look at the Trip Advisor reviews for Douce Quietude. There's a bus map and timetables here:

agglo-frejus-saintraphael.fr/images/bus/plan…

cold up north
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

Thank you Papluviose for your time, you have been most helpful.

8. Re: St Raphael or St Maxime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 02:17