We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to St. Tropez

Which Saint-Tropez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to St. Tropez

I'm planning on going to St. Tropez at the end of August. Is Lyon the best airport to fly into or is it better to go into Marseille or Nice? What are the transportation options coming from Marseille or Nice?

Also, I'm planning on going to Paris either before or after St. Tropez - any advice on this?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,531 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

The best airport for those wanting to go to St. Tropez is the Toulon-Hyères Airport (TLN).

Nice has boat service to St. Tropez. For information, call Trans Cote d'Azur Nice: 04 92 00 42 30

There is no train service to St. Tropez. There is bus service from either San Raphael or Hyères.

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

I agree that TLN (Toulon-Hyères airport just south east of Hyères) is a convenient airport to fly into if you're interested in visiting St Tropez.

TLN is relatively small, but well supplied in low-cost and regular carriers. Nice & Marseille are both larger. Most folks looking visit Provence go to Marseille, those more interested in greater Nice area fly into Nice.

From Nice, you can take a bus to the train station, train to St Raphael then bus or boat to St Tropez. Not hugely convenient especially with connections, but doable.

From TLN, you take a 10min shuttle bus into the town of Hyères to stop at their Gare Routière. From there, SODETRAV bus 103 takes you to St Tropez in about 1hr30mins. You pay for the fare on the bus.

For the Hyères to St Tropez bus schedule, check out sodetrav.fr -> Horaires -> and look at the "Lignes InterUrbaines" schedule for bus 103 for your visit month/day.

Enjoy,

AzurAlive.com

Washington DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

So if we stayed in Hyere or St. Raphael could we do a day trip to St. Tropez..how long would the bus ride be each way? Where do you get the bus from?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

from St raphael you can take a ferry - recommended to avoid the traffic

st Raphael timetable

http://tinyurl.com/mo3acv

bus timetable hyeres-st tropez up to end of august - takes nearly 2 hours by timetable -allow more time for traffic. I don't know the price but i'd guess at least 12 euros single going by the price from st Raphael to st tropez by bus with same company

http://www.sodetrav.fr/pdf/103%20ete.pdf

nb there is no actual ferry from Nice to st tropez- there is only a day excursion by boat in the summer

Lexington, MA USA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

We are flying into Nice in mid-Sept. and have to get to St. Tropez the next day (a Monday) to catch a cruise. During that time of year, is the bus an option from Nice to St. Tropez or is the traffic still all jammed? I see the ferry from Nice to St. Tropez doesn't operate on Mondays, so we're out of luck!

I'm guessing the train from Nice to St. Raphael and then the ferry is the best option???

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

In the summer, buses to St Tropez slow down once they get closer to town, just as cars do. During that time, I would opt for the ferry boat whenever possible. This is less of an issue when coming from Hyères/west than from Ste Maxime/east.

The ferry from St Raphael to St Tropez runs every day 9:30AM and 2:30PM, with some additional times (11:30AM and 5PM) from July 4 to Aug 3O; See http://www.bateauxsaintraphael.com for times and current cost (23€ round-trip per adult in 2009). It takes just under 1 hour.

The trick with the Nice-StRaph train + St Raph-StTrop boat ride is to time the connection right. There are plenty of trains so this is doable - you just need to plan it.

AzurAlive.com

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

You asked about mid-Sep: traffic does ease off after the end of August.

A major event in Sep-Oct in St Tropez is Les Voiles de St Tropez regatta. This year, it takes place September 27 - October 4, 2009. It's somewhat busy during that week, and becomes far more quiet after that.

AzurAlive.com

Lexington, MA USA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

Thank you for your very helpful responses! This is great info! I really apprecite it.

9. Re: Getting to St. Tropez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Tropez