We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Tropez - is it worth it ?

Which Saint-Tropez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sofia
Level Contributor
14 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
St. Tropez - is it worth it ?

Hello everyone,

I am being tempted by a vacation on the cote d'azur (never been there), but am a bit hesitant seeing the costs and the overcrowding issues. So i wonder if any seasoned St. Tropez visitors can share their views on price/quality ratio for having a vacation in St. Tropez, i.e. is the experience really worth the extra money, or not.

Perhaps to give you an idea of our ideal vacation may help - we would normally be stationed in a nice city/ town, having its own spirit and beauty, so that we can go out walking (rather than driving) every night. During the day we would hop beaches or nearby attractions (historic towns, natural landmarks etc.) by a rented car.

Apart from the "worth it" question, i have a couple of specific Q's:

1 What is the normal price pp for lunch/dinner in a non-Michellin starred restaurant in St. Tropez?

2. How frustrating is traffic and parking in July? Are the beaches annoyingly overcrowded?

3. How hot is it normally in the middle of July? Would you recommend a better time of the year to stay (of course still having sunny weather and warm water)?

4. Would a daily drive from St. Tropez town to Pampellone be a hassle in terms of traffic and finding a place to park by the beach?

Thanks for any honest insights.

Edited: 01 January 2011, 09:14
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Tropez - is it worth it ?

St Tropez as a base from which to explore local attractions, by car, in July? Its hard to know where to start, save to say this is not a good plan. High season St Tropez is routinely gridlocked, in and out. If this is an important part of the holiday you are planning, consider another town, like Villefranche.

The main purpose of staying in St Tropez is first the nightlife and then beachlife. There is not much else to occupy you other than spending large amounts of money sitting in a cafe, and I reckon it is probably the most expensive resort on the Riviera to do that.

I am only an occasional visitor to St Tropez and not a vacationer there, but I detect a "holiday plan malfunction"

Perhaps hardened fans will put a different view.

Edited: 01 January 2011, 10:03
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Tropez - is it worth it ?

Driving to and from Pampelonne Beach each day is not an issue. I have never had a problem parking. Where I usually go there are two huge car parks. You can always find somewhere on the public beach. I don't think the beaches are overcrowded. The one I used to go to had the umbrellas and beds well spaced out.

However driving in and out of St Tropez every day to see nearby attractions would be painful. Part of the charm of the St Tropez penisular and the Maures Coast is the fact that the mountains come down to the coast. However this means unless you want to restrict yourself to the coast road you have to drive over these to get back up to the motorway and then to other places. The road between St Tropez and Ste Maxime is notorious in summer for being a car park.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Tropez - is it worth it ?

Apart from the stony beach Nice has everything you want; historic buildings, great views, lively atmosphere, more than 600 restaurants charging 15 euro up (a long way up) for three courses and the city can absorb an enormous number of people without feeling too crowded. Nearby there is great coastal walking and quite a few ancient villages. If you want a better beach you could also consider Villefranche (as NiceLife advises) or Antibes, much smaller than Nice but still big enough to keep you amused.

Mid July has afternoon temperatures approaching 30C with medium humidity. My favourite month is June when it is a few degrees cooler.

If you are based in Nice or Villefranche there is no need to drive as almost everywhere you want to go is served by the excellent bus service. Parking is rarely impossible but can require some searching at peak times. For an experience you will never forget take your holiday in August and drive to St Tropez in the middle of the day, when traffic can average around 1MPH for quite some distance.

4. Re: St. Tropez - is it worth it ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Tropez