We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Tropez around May 23 2014

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
St Tropez around May 23 2014

Hello, my husband and I in our early 30's are travelling to the Cote D azur from May 21-26 staying in Nice and what to go to St Tropez for a day we would like to explore the town and go to the beach and have a few questions...

How busy is it usually on that time of year?

Are the beach clubs open?

The ferry looks like only runs from June to xxxx. Is this right? I really wanted to take the ferry in our way from Nice and back in bus/train?

Would you recommend us to rent a car for this day trip? How bad will the traffic be ? We definitely dont want to be standding in traffic for hours and are planning in leaving from Nice very early and comking back the same day late...loke evening around 8pm if possible...

Is it better to go to St Tropez in the weekend like a Friday o Saturday since it will be busier for that time of year?

We do like people watching party beach etc...

Any tips for our trip to St Tropez specially for the season we are visiting are very welcomed :)

I appreciate all the information and tips.

Thank you!!

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

we are there the same time and have the same questions! cheers

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

Hi! we will be in Nice at the same time. I wonder how long the trip is from Nice to St Tropez???

Saint-tropez, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

Hi there, I live in Cogolin and work in St.Tropez doing boat trips around the bay on the Brigantin boat. If you come down from Nice avoid tuesday like the plague its market day and gets very busy. Saturday is also market day and alot quieter on the roads. The market is in the place de lices until 1pm. You may get a bit of traffic when you hit St.Maxime but this is normal. It should take at the most 2hrs to drive down if you take it easy. Park in the parking du port or parking du lices like that you can stay as long as you like. There is plenty of shopping, muséums, people watching and of course a one hour boat trip. I'm down on the old port every day opposite Le Cafe de Paris if you need any info. There are some great daytrips to be done all around the region and to get to the famous Pampelonne beach you need a car as its a 15 min drive out of St.Tropez in the next village Ramatuelle. The beach bars and clubs are open, don't know how busy they will be, it dépends on which boats and celebs are in. Hope this helps a bit. Victoria

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

Thank you so much for your reply! Might as well rent a car and leave early from Nice :)

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

Thanks for the information Victoria!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

I always go by car from Nice. There will be a *lot* of traffic from Ste Maxime. Parking at both places Victoria mentions is pay parking. If you park at the outside port parking lot, the walk around to the little harbour is just wonderful. You feel that you are entering that famous postcard we see of St Tropez. I have done the 1-hour cruise, and I really enjoyed it.

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

Hi

St Tropez will not be as busy in late May as it is in mid-Summer, but the beach clubs (at Pampelonne) & nighclubs (in St Tropez) are open and the weather is (usually) warm enough for a swim in the sea.

If you're interested in the clubs & people watching, I would recommend you visit on a Saturday rather during the week as it will have more of a buzz in May on weekends.

There is decent traffic along the coastal road to St Tropez right now, but nothing completely crazy just yet. So a car is probably your best bet, especially if you're interesting in exploring the greater St Tropez peninsula.

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

monroe, mich
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

Actually, we are thinking the same day trip from Nice on Tuesday July 8th but we were thinking of training to St Raphael early & take the Les Bateaux ferry from the port of St Raphael to port of St Tropez. I have a couple of questions regarding this. Can we prebook tickets for the ferry for a specific time 9:30am & return at 6pm? Also, if we want to go the the beach clubs in Pampelonne, is it possible to catch a taxi there from town/port & back to the port? Lastly, if we take the 6pm return ferry (one hour ferry ride), is a 7:40pm train back to Nice enough time to get from the ferry for the train departure time of 7:40pm?

Thank you in advance.

Michele

houston tx
Level Contributor
287 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

I am curious how your trip to St Tropez was last year. We will be there late May for one day (Tuesday). In port from 8am-5pm. We will probably go to the market as it seems to be the thing to do on Tuesdays. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Tropez around May 23 2014

I was there a few years ago during the same time of year. Traffic shouldn't be that bad. The beach clubs will be open, but probably not crazy. And yes, you'd need a car to get from St. Tropez to the beach in Pampellone, which is a short distance away, as Victoria noted.

I think it was about 2-2.5 hour drive from Nice to St. Tropez and it was fairly straightforward drive.

Edited: 20 February 2015, 17:25
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Tropez
Recent Conversations