We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

Leaving next Monday, and hopefully the last walking question! I notice Ligne 112 and 82 going from Nice to Eze le Village stop at a number of Villefranche sur Mer stops such as Col de Villefranche. Is it reasonable to walk to this bus stop (eitther way)if based in Villefranche near the Octroi Bus stop?

Thanks

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

Col de Villefranche isn't really in Villefranche sur Mer. The clue is in the French names - "sur mer" means "by the sea" and "col" means "mountain pass". Just like Eze sur Mer, Eze Village and Col d'Eze. Each place is built at a different sea level on the cliffs/hills as they come down to the sea.

That being said, it is possible to walk from Col de Villefranche and Villefranche sur Mer or vice versa. But it could take you anything from 45 mins to 2 hours, depending on your level of fitness and how hot and tired you want to be when you reach your destination. Alternatively, the number 80 bus runs between Villefranche Port and Col de Villefranche.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

Sorry MC, I know you are expert on many aspects of the area but I think you are a bit confused on this one. Col de Villefranche is on the Moyenne Corniche. It takes me about 15/20 minutes to walk to the Octroi stop. Don't walk on the road, which is unpleasant and dangerous. Walk away from Nice on the Corniche and go down the steps which you will find on the right. You can then go all the way without mixing it with speeding drivers.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

I got the place right - I go through Col de Villefranche regularly. But I guessed the walking time wrong - I don't like to underestimate, as I walk fast and know where I'm going. If you're not used to walking uphill, it can take much longer than expected, and if I was walking as a tourist, I'd expect to stop regularly for views and to catch my breath. I guess I did overestimate a bit, especially if you were walking downhill.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

Sorry for the confusion - I've based my estimations on walking uphill to Col de Villefranche, rather than downhill to Octroi.

5. Re: Walking Col de Villefranche to Villefranche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 16:18