We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

Wondering when cruise ships port in Villefranche -- every day? -- and when they are there, is it problematic and overly crowded or just a bit busier? I am asking specifically about the end of April, first week of May. Thanks.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

You can check the Villefranche cruise ships schedule here:

http://tinyurl.com/bbh25m

It looks like they're visiting pretty much every day.

Not having lived in Villefranche, I can't say how it affects daily life. There have been reports in the press over here that Villefranche doesn't gain very much from the trade. The common tale is that voyagers disembark, get the ship tour bus, disappear for the day, then return to the ship and leave. They say very few actually get to know the port in which the liner sits, especially if there are more well-known spots around. I think they all come over to Monaco and leave Villefranche in relative peace.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

I live in Villefranche part of the time. Ships are in most days, sometimes two and occasionally three. As MC says they have little effect of Villefranche as almost all passengers troop off the ship and are shepherded to the nearby buses for trips to Monaco, Eze, etc.

Occasionally there is chaos at the train station when 50 or so head for the train and, if the ticket office is closed, queue to buy tickets from a machine which requires a knowledge of French and is, in any case, slow to produce a ticket. You can avoid this by buying tickets in advance.

I enjoy talking to some of the visitors when they ask for directions and let slip that I own property in Villefranche. They look around wonderingly and up in the direction of Tina Turner's vast villa and imagine that I am a multi millionaire. Truth is my bank account would need to be multiplied by roughly half a million to put me in that category!

lincoln
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

hi , we are arriving on cruise ship 12th august , can you recommend any reliable local taxi companies to quote on taking us to vence please, would you suggest it far time wise at that time of year and costly ?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

Do you mean Vence or St paul de vence?

There is one taxi in Villefranche that advertises that they speak english and a 24/24 7/7 service -no idea how reliable they are:

Taxi Didier taxididier.villefranchesurmer@orange.fr

o mobile : .06 15 15 39 15

o mobile : .06 47 82 02 97

these are the other two taxis that are listed in yellow pages

Taxis 04 93 55 55 55

Mia Maurice mobile : .06 09 51 90 04

lincoln
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

hi ,

yes it was vence

thanks for info

6. Re: Cruise Ships - When in Villefranche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 09:23
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics