We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

Hello

i was wondering how can i get to these places by bus or train. Will be in port for about 7 hrs.or should i just do Nice and MC?

Thanks

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

I think you'll be pushing it to do all 3 in 7 hours with public transport. Another poster posted information about a ship's cruise that did this in 8 1/2 hours, but even that only gave 30 mins in Nice, 30 mins in Eze and 1 hour in Monaco. If you have to take into account finding your way to bus stops and railway stations, waiting for missed connections, traffic jams, rush hour commuters etc. there's a real risk that you won't make it back to the ship in time.

I think you'd be safer to just do 2 of the places. Nice and Monaco can be reached by both bus and train from Villefranche, so are probably the better option. Eze has about 1 bus an hour to and from Nice, and about 1 bus every 1 1/2 hours to and from Monaco. Buses between Nice/Villefranche/Monaco about every 15 to 20 mins, trains about every 30 mins.

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

Thanks..Do u think it's a good idea to take the small tour trains around Nice and Moraco? Also is Promenade des Anglais far from the bus stop in Nice?

How much would a cab cost from Monte carlo back to the port?

Mentioned in this post
Promenade des Anglais
Promenade des Anglais
12,205 Reviews
Nice, France
Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

I don't like these little trains myself, but they can be a good option if you don't have too much time and want to get a general impression of Nice and Monaco.

The Promenade des Anglais is a 10-min walk from the bus stop (Gare Routière on boulevard Jean Jaurès). I think it would be a good idea to walk from the bus stop to the seafront (Quai des Etats-Unis > Promenade des Anglais) via the streets of 'Vieux Nice' so that you could visit the old town on your way.

FYI, taxi fare from Monaco to Villefranche is approx. 60€.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Promenade des Anglais
Promenade des Anglais
12,205 Reviews
Nice, France
New Jersey
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

Thanks

Should i go to MC first ...tour and watch the change of guards..thank take either train/bus to Nice...and than back to the port? what train goes from MC to Nice? is bus 100 the best way to get back from Nice to the port?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

I think you could safely do all three, provided you don't dwell too long anywhere.

1. Walk up to the bus stop in Villefranche and bus 100 or 81 to Nice - total time from dock to Nice bus station 30 -60 minutes, depending on wait for bus. At bus station check time of next bus to Eze. Walk through old town to the promenade and back in time for bus.

2. Bus to Eze takes about 15/20 minutes. Check time of next bus to Monaco. Walk up into the village and back in time for bus. An hour is ample for a look at Eze, 30 minutes OK if time is tight.

3. Bus to Monaco. Changing of the guard could be done better by a dozen boy scouts, so not worth seeing. To be completely safe you need to leave for Villefranche about two hours before ship sails, although the actual train time is 15 minutes or bus about 20.

So, your five hours would be made up of something like - To and in Nice, 2 hours: to and in Eze 1hr 30: to and in Monaco 1.30.

All buses to and from Eze can be seen at eze-riviera.com

Mentioned in this post
Eze
Eze
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

I still wouldn't chance all three. If there's a strike, you may not find out until you get to Monaco, by which time it could mean you'll miss the boat. I'd only do it if there were guaranteed no holdups on the transport system.

I commuted for 5 years between Nice and Monaco, the last 2 of those nearly always by bus. Often I'd set off early in the morning completely unaware there was a train strike. I'd get to the bus stop to go home in the evening and it would be chaos. When the trains strike, the 100 bus service is stretched to the limit. I would leave work at 5pm and not be able to get on a bus until about 6.30pm, unless I literally fought to get on. And then I'd end up standing the whole way back, packed in like sardines. Admittedly, I just felt it was better to sit in a bar by the bus stop with a beer until the queues went down. But if you have to get back in time for the departure, you don't have this luxury.

So, if you do want to chance doing all three, check the news before you set off in case there's a strike.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

Oh, and if the bus is full, as is often the case with a strike, the bus driver will just drive straight past. On strike days, there would usually be about 4 buses that just go straight by and don't stop. That's an extra hour on the journey and a lot of stress.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

I would focus on 2 places only if I had to rely on public transport (BTW the bus journey from MC to Villefranche is approx. 30 mins in normal traffic conditions).

If you still want to see the changing of the guards ('Carabiniers') it might be a good idea to visit Monaco first, as it is scheduled at 11.55 am everyday.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
9. Re: from Villefranche port to Nice, Eze and a glimps of MC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics