We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

hello - we are travelling to nice in june 2010 and enjoy walking as much as we can - can anyone tell me if there is a walk that would take us from the Port in Nice to villefranche sur mer that goes along the coast? and how long of a walk this would be? also, once in villefranche sur mer - would it be much farther to cap jean ferrat? many thanks! lisa

uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

No unless you follow the road and this is not really a walk I would do as it lacks of charm with the traffic.

I do not believe it possible to walk on the coats from Nice to Villefranche.

But there are many wonderful walks in that area a web search should give you quite a few itinaries in the area in English.

You could walk around the cap in Villefranche bu to be honest so many properties have built big fences it is not the most charming of it all.

Many walks are in the "arriere pays" back of Nice and you can get lovely views of the coast and mountains behind.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

Beautiful walk, around an hour depending on walking speed.,

From the Port up Boulevard Carnot and along the lower Corniche and Boulevard Princess Grace, then down into Villefranche.

Must have walked it a hundred times but never tire of that view as Cap Ferrat swings into sight.

From Villefranche walk the perimeter of the beach to steps up to Avenue Louise Bordes to Pont St Jean, then on to Cap Ferrat. Around another thirty minutes.

If you want the walk from heaven, take the bus from Nice to Eze Village, then walk back along the Avenue de Verdun and Avenue de Bella Vista to the Corne d'Or above Villefranche and down into the village. From there get the bus back to Nice. That is closer to two hours and a bit but the view over Beaulieu, Cap Ferrat and the bay of Villefranche from high above is non pareill.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

IMO the walk on the road is not that great, with lots of traffic. I often walk from Nice to Villefranche but always by the route outlined in my post of Aug 23 2008, which is shorter, has better views and is almost traffic free. By the way, the Champion supermarket mentioned is now Carrefour. A coastal path, between the road and the sea, from Cap de Nice to Villefranche is under construction. I will check progress week after next.

The circuit of Cap Ferrat is a magnificent walk but not good in heavy seas as you may end up in North Africa.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

LB: the coastal path from the la Racasse naval establishment round to Villefranche has been a long time coming and is a labour of love but (in my view, of course) something of a disappointment. Lots of steps and stairs and handrails, but ultimately the low level view onto Cap Ferrat is dull, and much of it is a flat horizon view out to sea, which could be anywhere. I did it once and decided it didn't warrant repeating. Interested to see what you think of it.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

You can actually walk most of the way by the sea now. From Nice port, carry on past the ferry terminal, past La Reserve restaurant, and about another couple of hundred meters there's a path leading down towards the sea, which turns into a very pleasant walk around the first part of the Cap de Nice. However, you've got quite a climb back up to road level where the land that used to be part of the hotel Palais Maeterlinck begins. If you make it back to road level, you can then join the path back down to the coast that NiceLife refers to as disappointing, with lots of steps, but which I quite enjoyed. It takes you all the way into Villefranche bay. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not reasonably fit, and certainly not after 10am in June. You'll fry to a crisp if it's sunny, and dehydrate rapidly if you don't take a couple of litres of water with you. You'd be better off taking the 100 bus to either the Hopital Anglais bus stop and walking the section into Villefranch, or to the Maeterlinck stop and walking the section back into Nice.

I believe they're trying to join up the middle section under the Palais Maeterlinck, but who knows when that'll be. If you want pleasant walks along the coast, get the 100 bus, or the train, to 1) Cap d'Ail and 2) Roquebrune Cap Martin. Both these places have lovely coastal paths that are easily accessed by public transport.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

NL,

Walked from Villefranche towards Nice on the sunny Wednesday last week. (Would have been fun in the heavy snow on Thursday) I agree with you. Having to concentrate on the repeated climbing and descending of steps made it so wearisome that we returned by the road. A pity as it obviously required a great deal of work to build. One or two bits starting to slide towards the sea. I still think that the walk through the Parc du Mont Boron is by far the nicest route.

All the best,

Bob

7. Re: Walk from Nice to Villefranche Sur Mer - how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics