We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

Hello all,

II am down to four choices of hotels for VF area. The websites all say 10 minute walk to beach/town except for one (Welcome which sits right in town on beach). All reviews are equally fine but here are my issues with each one of them-can you help me decide which one is right for us? We want balcony with sea view,5-10 walk to town/beach, a staff that will be helpful with day trips/restaurants and a bar/lounge area. Pool is nice but not necessary. I also list the prices that they gave me today:

Hotel Welcome-most popular with reviews here as well as fodors and frommers but to me the website shows rooms that look dated and also as a good thing right in front of scene and beach. I think I would like to stay a little out of main area and also think high price for what you get. Full bar with wine pier. Comfort w/balcony with sea view 196 e or Superior w/balcony with sea view 228 e

Hotel Versailles-had to call them today bc they didnt get back to me via email with rates. Their rooms look awesome but hearing strange reviews that there are no doors on bathrooms…weird! The pool and lounge looks great too. Not sure how far walk to town/beach. Balcony with seaview 170 e

Hotel Provencal-décor looked modest but I like the feel of this hotel with its French charm. Garden patio and hotel states full bar but don’t see any picture of it on website. Double balcony with sea view 120 e w breakfast, 100 e without breakfast

Hotel la Flore- has pool, double sea view with deck 150e

Which one would you stay in for two nights?

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

Hello ,

Of the 4 we have only stayed in the Provencal a couple of years ago, but I have wandered into all of them.

The Welcome has IMO the best location, very near the port where the restaurants and bars are and the rail station and beach but would agree it's overpriced and a bit tired. I didn't think the staff were very friendly either

Going up the hill, from the port is the Versailles which is maybe half way up the hill- 5 to 10 minutes wal. Don't know about doors on the bathrooms but location is good between the port - for the train and the main road for the bus if you are using public transport. It is charming provencal style and has nice views

Further up the hill, just beneath the main road is the unimposing Provencal which is clean and comfortable but dated and certainly not smart. It has a great value restaurant which is used by locals and non -guests, not sure about a bar so it must be low key :) Views from the room you have been quoted are good, but no views elsewhere nor pool. There is a small garden.

The La Flore is up on the main road,just along from (maybe 5 mins walk) the small cluster of local shops and restaurants on the main road, but much further down to the port where the majority of restaurants are. Rooms facing the sea will not suffer from noise. It is quite smart and views down the hill to the bay below are great, but it is a bit of a hike back up the hill from the port area, railway station and beach- handy for the bus though.

Hope this helps

Edited: 02 July 2010, 09:49
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

The Welcome puts you in the centre of the action. Faded elegance is part of its charm but there is nothing better placed to enjoy going out in the evening.

The only problem with the Versailles and Flore is that walk back from the town at night, cars and motorcycles whizzing by, is nothing very pleasant and longer than you think. Flore makes a big thing of the menu, but you have much more atmosphere eating out in the town Both have stunning views onto Cap Ferrat

Don't know the Provencal but my impression backs how Soooz describes it.

Personally, I would choose the Welcome. If that doesn't float your boat, toss a coin between Flore and Versailles. Or take a lucky dip on the Provencale and tell us all how you got on.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

Hi there,

A correction to my previous post, just realised I was describing the Villa Vauban rather than the Versailles. The Versailles is up on the main road near the Flore and very smart.

Sorry about that !

Possibly look at Villa Vauban too ?... the location is good

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

We are going back to the Welcome in late Aug. early Sept. I find it worth the extra money.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

Thanks for your posts! Ok we are down to choosing two hotels now...Welcome and Versailles. Here are my questions:

1. We are in our 30's and exercise, we don’t mind the 10 min walk BUT would prefer not to get hit by a car at night. We will be dining in town and will be taking this walk prob many times. Is it lit/safe to walk at night? NiceLife you stated that "its longer than you think". How much time do you think it would take? Also do you feel that we will find it a hassle to go back and forth from hotel to town i.e. lets say we ant to change from the beach?

2. I like the style, pool, bar and lounge area of the Versailles but dont want to feel isolated up on the hill. I guess besides the big price difference, Im not suite sure I want to be RIGHT in the hustle and bustle of it all at the Welcome. The main concern with the Welcome as not being there before is I’m worried about the noise from the nightlife. I don’t mind noise til 11pm but if there is loud traffic and drunks til 2am I would prefer not to be up with them! I like to be removed a little but not TOO much.

So, you can see why I am conflicted between the two hotels. What do you think? Is Versailles too much of a walk and just stay at Welcome or ????? I would like to book it tonight so I can get the availability and also then focus on the fun stuff :)

Thanks,

Stephanie

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

From Versailles to the actual beach I would put at fifteen minutes. The road you would need to walk is the main Nice-Monaco road Boulevard Princess Grace. You won't be run over dont worry, but the walk is still a consideration and its uphill from VF, which is why Versailles has a substantial pool. (Many of its guests appear to arrive with cars and look like they might settle for lounging)

You don't think Welcomes right for you(be guided by the Force, Luke)

You would be overlooking some bar/ restaurants and the Cocteau Church and people coming and going

If you can get a rom at Villa Vaubin - I think it only has eight - that really would be perfect.

I've always liked the view from Versailles over Villefranche and Cap Ferrat and the walk is not insurmountable, with pool lounging an option, its a good combination.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

So my husband just said he wants to be where the action is and reminded me that we are beach people and not pool people. That being said I guess we are going with Welcome. Some of the rooms on the website are dated (red carpet) and some look fresh and updated. My choices are comfort (which in other words cramped!) Or superior for 228 euro. I would think the comfort ones are dated. Which would you choose? And while I'm here...NiceLife what are you two fav restaurants for dinner? Thanks for your help!

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

We stayed in a comfort room and are again in Aug. While not all the rooms are completely updated, they are clean and comfortable. It wasn't too small when compared to most of European hotels. 30 of the 32 rooms have a balcony looking over the harbor which takes the sting out of any imperfections.

There are plenty of good bars and restaurants very near by including everyone's favorite-- Le Cosmo.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

Now VT not only does travel advice, we have a sideline in Therapy.

In giving advice I try not to give my personal likes but to "steer through your preferences". Right. We are back on the Welcome. (Secretly, its the right choice)

My two favourite restaurants are le Cosmos, and Le Cosmos.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/6cdeb/14495/2/

I just love the laid back style, the great menu (desserts to die for - their Tarte Tatin hits the spot every time) all in the shadow of The Welcome.

There is also a running antique market

members.virtualtourist.com/m/6cdeb/14495/c/

In a different price league you might like Carpaccio, at the end of the run of restaurants along the harbour. Pictured the Rolls Royce of Bjorn Borg over for lunch from Monaco where he is a tax-exile. So now you know what to expect

members.virtualtourist.com/m/6cdeb/14495/4/…

Villefranche: You'll love it, wherever you stay

Edited: 02 July 2010, 20:15
boston, ma
Level Contributor
335 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotel Between Four Choices..please help :)

I just emailed Welcome to confirm which types of rooms are available and at what rates to see if anything changed. I just was wondering if certain room types were more updated than others. Hopefully they will answer tonight and I will book it. Thank you all for your help ;0

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics