We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to go and public transport

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best places to go and public transport

Hi

Am going to Villefranche sur Mer in Aug 2011. Arriving at Nice Airport AT 9.30 pm on the 2nd and staying until the 9th. Can anyone tell me are trains/buses still running at this time? Am traveling with Wife,Son(12) Daughter (18) and daughters friend - so 5 of us in total. Am staying at the Hotel Provencal - How close is this hotel to Bus Stop and Train Station? Am also trying to fine out if there are boat trips one can take along the coast from VSM - not one that I would take out myself but one with 10-20-30 (whatever) people that would take us to Monaco - Cannes - Nice - etc etc.

Thanks

Denis

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,730 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to go and public transport

You should be able to get the train from Nice St Augustin station ( 20 minutes walk from Terminal1 ) to Villefranche. Timetable below: Note that there are cuurently works on the line which means no service from Nice St Augustin for the last two trains part of the week ( Notes 2 and 3 ). As far as I know the latest news is that this work will be finsihed soon - and well before you arrive in August. Villefranche is small ( but hilly) but I estimate your hotel is no more than about 20 minutes walk from Villefranche station.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mande…

Boat trips along the coast start from Nice Port ( to Monaco, St Tropez etc). You will find the regular train and bus ( e.g. No 100 to Monaco) provide the best way of getting around along the coast.

Ed

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to go and public transport

As Ed says, there are no tourist boat trips starting from Villefranche- (though this is where the tenders from giant cruiseliners in the bay drop off "boat people" for the day) Boat cruises run by Trans Cotes d'Azur start from Quai Lunel in Nice

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

They do cruises to Cannes Ile des Lerins, Monaco and St Tropez, but as a way of getting to Cannes and Monaco its around five times the cost of the train, and twenty times the bus fare, if that matters.

Road traffic can be sticky in August and the buses are too cheap or their own good and therefore full much of the time - train is a more pleasant experience - once you have overcome the obstacle of buying rail tickets, the worst part of the railways service.

Edited: 04 June 2011, 10:26
Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Thanks Ed - NiceLife - - Looking at the timetable,it looks like the train is the best bet for getting to VSM and also for getting around during the week and the cruise line above looks like it could be a nice day out and a great way to see places like Monaco also as they allow you about 6 hours there to look around.

Anyone got any idea where I could get a bus time table as clear as the train timetable given to me above?

Thanks again.

Denis

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Nice-villlefranche -monaco-menton =

bus 100

cg06.fr/cms/…100.pdf

The work on the railway line is an immense project - currently the work iis creating an extra track between Antibes and cagnes- sur-mer

Later, it will be connecting that track from Cagnes-sur-mer to Nice [expected to start during 2012] with the ultimate aim of having a local train every 15 minutes along the coast and a train to grasse every 30 mins

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to go and public transport

I often arrive at around that time heading for Villefranche. From T2 I get the free bus which runs between the terminals and get off at the first stop after T1. It is then only necessary to turn the corner of the hotel school and walk about 300 mtrs beside the main road with the train line on your left. At the traffic lights cross two roads and climb up to the right to the station. I would say at least 10% of trains don't show and another 20% or so run late. I have timed the walk from T1 and it takes me about 7 minutes.

I have stayed twice at the Provencal, a typical old and somewhat run down French hotel and wouldn't consider a week there. However, I understand that the larger rooms have a magnificent view so you may be happy.

Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Thanks selkieNice - LondonBob - - all these bits of information will make it easier to move around during my holidays.

Did I see somewhere that there are gardens open to the public (something like 7 gardens in 1 location??) around Nice?

Denis

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to go and public transport

The best gardens accessible to Nice are in Menton - Val Rameh, Maria Serena, Serre de la Madone, Fontana Rosa, and alsoa few private gardens open only by arrangement. Not far of the other side of the Italian border is the magnificent Hanbury Gardens , which knocks everything else into a cocked hat.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to go and public transport

villa Ephussi Rothschild at cap ferrat has 9 gardens - bus 81 to bus stop called Passable

http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/en/ephrussi/

bus 81 [new timetable as of 1st june]

lignesdazur.com/ftp/…29.pdf

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,730 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to go and public transport

If I could also put in a plug here for the incomparable, but often neglected, Jardin Thuret in Antibes.... Admission free by the way. And a great coffee table book just published about the Garden last month.

antibes-juanlespins.co.uk/jardin-thuret/cap-…

Ed

Listowel, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to go and public transport

Thanks all for comments/suggestions/links - You are all a great help to people who have never been to this area before ( even though I was in Cannes - Grasse - Frejus about 25-30 years ago - when I was young,free and foolish - none of which I am anymore - well, maybe still foolish !!)

I am beginning to think that 7 days will not be enough !!!

Thanks again

Denis