We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September 2012

County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
September 2012

Hi,

we usually stay in Nice for our holidays. How does Villefranche compare; size wise, shops, restaurants, etc.?

I know the beach is nicer, and is it quieter?

Any info., welcome, as trying to decide if we want to go with Nice , or a change.

Merci.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September 2012

Villefranche feels more like a village , far far fewer shops and restaurants and amenities

Much steeper - there are often long and very steep flights of stairs connecting upper and lower parts of villefranche for pedestrians or rat-run roads with limited or no pavements/sidewalks

NB the land area of villefranche is quite extensive and sometimes people see apartments etc that are technically in villefranche but a considerable distance and steepness from villefranche old town

there is a map here

villefranche-sur-mer.com/pages/plan/planvill…

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
593 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September 2012

Hi. they don't compare as selkienice has said. One's a village and the other is almost a city.

I don't know that the beach is nicer really either.It's smallish and the sea often gets filled up with debris in the afternoon. The view is to die for though.

Having said that I love my stays there because there is so little to do it's bliss. I go on a little trip in the morning Eze/Italy etc on the train and come back for sunbathe in the afternoon. Nice meal and a bit of wine repeat for the week. Also the little bars mean you get to talk to some great people.Really interesting skippers, ex pats, property renovators etc.

New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September 2012

Hi! We stayed in Nice a few years ago....It was a wonderful place to hang our hats...were able to enjoy the sea and also were able to walk to incredible restaurants and eat lots of gelato. But, we absolutely loved taking the train and stopping in a few different villages along the way. But Eze and Eze Sur Mer were beyond incredible. We did do some shopping there, enjoyed having drinks in the little fishing village, but just wandering around was an experience we wil never forget! So, I say, stay in Nice and then take an excursion or two! Enjoy!

blauvac
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: September 2012

Don't miss a visit to Villa Ephrussi de Rotschild.

Just 30 minutes maximum from Villefranche sur Mer

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September 2012

I can't believe you usually holiday in Nice and yet have never been to Villefranche! If you haven't travelled the coastline too much then definitely give Villefranche a go.

British Isles
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September 2012

We often stay in Villefranche in Hotel Welcome, it is superb.

Shops no.Restaurants yes,lovely beach,quiet off season when it is much cheaper, no through traffic at sea level . Rail station just up the steps through the medieval village.Lovely coastal walk around to Nice 2 1/2 hour. Good luck.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September 2012

ZebFrance,

we have visited Cannes, Antibes, St Paul De Vence, Monaco, while we were in Nice.

So this time we will get to Villefranche and to Eze....hopefully.

8. Re: September 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics