We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Dallas, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

My husband and I, along with some friends are going to be going on a Mediterranean cruise next month (June17th-25th) and are going to be stopping at the port in Villefranche-sur-Mer. We are wanting to know the best place to go for the day (Monaco, Cannes, Saint-Tropez??)?? Any advice on things to see and restaurants would be greatly appreciated!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

St Tropez late June from Villefranche? Four hours each way with any luck. Cannes even, absolutely no point. You are in Villefranche, which is a lovely sophisticated Riviera resort. There is no reason for you to go anywhere, but you are fairly close to the magnificent Cap Ferrat and the Villa Ephrussi.

The usual excursions for many "Cruise Boat People" is Eze Village, Monaco, or Nice, all three of which will certainly have organised excursions by your cruise.

Monaco is most peoples choice, but a lot of Americans are jaded with "wealthy excess" , its everyday, so you may prefer to pass. Eze Village - a popular choice - perched village, quaintness in spades, and perfume outlets. Nice is the more sophisticated choice, but I really depends on what your preferences are.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 21:09
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Villefranche is a lovely little village and many cruisers just go right through it and miss it completely. Make sure that you explore Villefranche.

Eze is a great place to visit....gorgeous views.

Monaco and Cannes would be well down the list of places to visit.

And getting to St Tropez is just too difficult to accomplish with the limted time you will be in port.

Dallas, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Thank you!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

If you like tower blocks and bling go to Monaco. If you are interested in ancient buildings and one of the world's best coastal views go to Eze. If you want to experience a lively city with pretty much everything except a decent beach, go to Nice. You can do Eze, Nice and back to Villefranche by bus for a total of 4.50 euro and have more fun than taking one of the ship's tours.

Formby, England...
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

We have cruised the Mediterranean many times and stopped at Villefranche twice - it is a nice town to visit and the views from the ship are spectacular as you moor up in the bay. You can visit Nice and Monte Carlo by train but you will need to allow plenty of time.

You can also take a taxi to the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, which is located just around the bay.

You can find out more at our Mediterranean cruise advice website -

mediterranean-cruise-advice.com/cruises-to-v…

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

I am not a fan of the Villa Euphrussi but you can get there in 10 minutes for 1.50 euro on the bus or walk it in 20 mins or so.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Hi! We are stopping in Villefranche-sur-mer for the day on a cruise. Being from the USA we always hear about Cannes, Monaco, Monte Carlo; however, reading lots of posts it sounds like Villefranche and Eze are the way to go. Would you suggest these 2 places other than the ones I mentioned and could we do both of them within 8 hours?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Monte Carlo is part of Monaco, but you could fit it all inside of NYC's Central Park. Many, many people are dissapointed in Monaco. It's the most densely populated country in the world and the little principality is wall to wall high-rise apartment buildings. Lots more interesting places to see on the Cote d'Azur

Cannes is not worth a visit.

You can easily do Eze and Villefranche in 8 hours.

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Some folks love Monaco, its high-rise nuilding squeezed between sea and cliff, the excitement of its special events. I always have a difficult time recommending it - though it does have its attractions and it remains a "must see" for many.

Seeing that you like active travel, hiking and more of the natural sites, I would instead go with Villefranche and a hike around the beautiful St Jean Cap Ferrat peninsula. Good for sea-legs too. Eze Village (the one perched up like an eagle's nest) is amazing off-season. The climb up from Eze Plage is a challenge.

Forget about the hassle of train/bus travel to Cannes or further and just soak in the local sites. Keep Cannes and beyond for return visit when you have more time :).

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mediterranean Cruise...where to go?

Thank you!!

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics