We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Stop and Tourist Information

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Stop and Tourist Information

We will arrive in Villefranche by train and wander the old town. From there, we'd like to catch the 81 bus to Villa Ephrussi. Where is the closest bus stop near the old town? Would it be the Octroi stop or is there a stop on Barmassa? Do we just pay the driver for our fair? Will this bus go through Beaulieu-sur-Mer before heading down Cap Ferrat?

Also, is there a tourist information office in the old town? I see one down the beach, past the train station towards Cap Ferrat when I look on Google map but I am hoping there is one in the old town to get maps for walking, etc.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 19:13
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

Personally I would walk from villefranche to villa Rothschild , rather than climbing up to octroi to take a bus; less hassle and probably quicker even if you are a slow walker

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

I would walk it but it is about two miles, while the walk from, say, the Welcome Hotel to Octroi or the next stop, Barmassa is around 300 yards. Give driver 1.50 for each passenger (no large notes!) and make sure you validate the ticket in the machine as you will see others do. Yes, the bus goes through Beaulieu. Bus 81 is usually reliable as it travels only a short distance. Timetables can be seen at lignesdazur.com.

There is a tourist office close to Octroi bus stop, at the back of the small park but it is a long way from the train station. If arrive by train you will be close to the office on the seafront. (Which I have never noticed)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

Thanks for the information. Walking sounds like a better idea and maybe then using the bus at a later time. After Villa Ephrussi we plan to head to St. Jean and then walk around the small peninsula at Paloma Beach and then we'll head to Beaulieu. If we're tired, maybe we'll take the bus up to Beaulieu.

Google map shows and "office of tourism" on Jardin François Binon which is near Hotel Patricia. It looks like it's behind the train tracks, rather than on the sea. I notice there is a TI right on the Cap as well. I'm just hoping to be able to pick up some maps for our walks. It seems fairly straight forward on Google map but I wouldn't mind an actual map.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 12:59
Mentioned in this post
Paloma Beach
Paloma Beach
400 Reviews
St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

LondonBob--You have a PM:) I was hoping to get your link for the walk from Nice to Villefranche.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

When I said probably quicker, I meant with walk up the steep hill then waiting for a bus then the bus journey.

Ive been using my phone and sometimes it posts things before I intended and I couldn't get back on till now.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

If you decide to walk, climb the steps at the end of Villefranche beach and go straight ahead with the train line on your left until you arrive at the traffic lights. The lights never do anything but flash amber, so cross with great care. If are not run down by a speeding Oligarch convoy of bullet proof vehicles, you will see beside the pharmacy a footpath with great views climbing up along the spine of the Cap. Continue climbing until you are forced to go either left or right, turn left and go down the badly maintained steps until you arrive at a traffic free road, turn right here and in a very few minutes you will arrive at the Ephrussi.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

I would take the stairs, then follow ave louise bordes, turn right into ave de grasseuil (before junction mentioned by bob) the joining ave denis semeria just a short distance before the turning for villa rothschild

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

LondonBob and selkieNice - thank you both for the directions - they are great. After the time I've spent looking at google map I actually understand the routes you mentioned now! I'm really looking forward to walking and spending a day, or maybe more, in this area. It looks beautiful.

We'll be in Antibes for 5 1/2 days and coastal walks are high on our list of things to do. We also plan to walk on Cap d'Antibes. Our area in Canada is flat prairie - no sea and no mountains, so this will be a real treat for us!

Edited: 02 May 2014, 14:34
Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
9. Re: Bus Stop and Tourist Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics