We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

Visiting Villefranche in a couple weeks. What are the"must see " areas in a day? Ship is docked from 7am- 8pm.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

By train -approx half hourly -Nice is 5 minutes away and Monaco/Monte Carlo 15 minutes. But don't neglect Villefranche and Cap Ferrat close by -the most beautiful place on the coast.

Ed

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

Can we walk to to train from cruise ship? How many euros? Safe? So, no need to get private driver? Lisa

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

The train station sits right above the beach in Villefranche, but I would suggest that you walk from Villefranche to Beaulieu sur Mer where you can catch the 83 bus to Eze (village). A lot of your fellow cruise passengers will be heading to Eze by train and the bus to the village, but the walk to Beaulieu is lovely and you will avoid a pile up of travelers. The 83 bus can be a bit difficult to board at the Eze train station, but as the route originates in Beaulieu, you will walk right on. On your way back, you might want to walk on to Cap Ferrat toward Port St. Jean on the Promenade Maurice Rouvier:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187218-d4…

As for safety, there isn't anything "unsafe" about the Villefranche train station, but pickpockets know large nimbler a of travelers pass through it. You will avoid this if you go to Beaulieu sur Mer for your transportation...and you will see a lovely part of the Riviera.

If this route appeals to you, come back for the details.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

This will probably help you.

tomsportguides.com/Villefranche-sur-Mer-06-2…

Indiana
Level Contributor
401 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

Troggs,

i f this route appeals to you, come back for the details.

We are on a cruise in three weeks. I plan to go to Eze on our own following instructions from Tom. When we come back would like a light lunch in Villefranche or suggestions where to eat and then would be interested in details to walk on to Cap Ferrat toward Port St. Jean on the Promenade Maurice Rouvier:

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

This article will help you chose your starting g point and select your transportation/walking route to your next destination and on from there:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187216-c208728/Frenc…

At the end of October, you should be fine taking the train from Villefranche to the Eze train station and the 83 bus from that station to Eze Village. This route can be crowded during the tourist season, but it's okay in October. However, my preferred route would be to walk to Beaulieu sur Mer and catch the 83 bus from there. It's a lovely walk and will be the path less followed by your fellow passengers. I would also take the 83 bus back to Beaulieu and that's when I would explore the Promenade Maurice Rouvier. You could take the 81 bus from Port St. Jean to Villefranche or walk back on the promenade and to Villefrance on the route you followed that morning. If desired, you can also catch the 81 bus in Beaulieu to Port St Jean and walk back on the promenade towards the coastline. Watch your time, and allow 40 minutes for your walk on the Promenade each way, although I've done it in much less, and another half hour from Bealieu towards Villefranche. That's when we'd spend our time in a Villefranche restaurant, and we've been happy in any of the harbor locations. As I said, watch your time and you can cut or expand your routes as timing allows. The walk on the Promenade Maurice Rouvier will be very different according the the direction you are walkin. One will be ocean view and the other is mountain scenery. .

Indiana
Level Contributor
401 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

Troggs,

Thank you the article is great and I will copy information. We are very nervous about taking trains and buses because we live in the country and just never have experienced that. We are hoping the detailed information you have provided keeps us from getting lost.

"The walk on the Promenade Maurice Rouvier will be very different according the the direction you are walkin. One will be ocean view and the other is mountain scenery. "

Which one is the ocean view.? I am very excited to have found this walk it is exactly what we love to do.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

Just on the trains and bus thing....be assured that everybody, at least if they live on the coast, including the rich, use public transport. A great bonus today 20th September 'Heritage Day' local buses were absolutely free(as opposed to the usual 1 euro) and Mrs Loud-Glade and I took full advantage.

Ed

Indiana
Level Contributor
401 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

"Just on the trains and bus thing....be assured that everybody, at least if they live on the coast, including the rich, use public transport. A great bonus today 20th September 'Heritage Day' local buses were absolutely free(as opposed to the usual 1 euro) and Mrs Loud-Glade and I took full advantage."

Ed It probably seems absurd that we have no experience. In Midwest we drive to everything. We are looking forward to broadening our traveling experience and hope to get the hang of Europe.It does not help that neither my husband or I speak a foreign language. Wish my pea brain would remember my foreign language of 40 years ago!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Villefranche via cruise ship-

Cindy, I live in Louisville and like you, I drive to everything. I didn't find public transportation intimidating on my first trip and I don't now. Here a a few pointers for travelers like us:

1) The bus drivers sell tickets on the bus and you validate the ticket in a stamp machine that's usually behind their seat. They aren't happy about giving change for largel bills, so the best thing is to hold onto your one and two Euro coins for the bus 1.50 Euro fare. Small bills are okay, but the drivers are happiest with coins. (In the US, we tend to dump our coins, but in Europe, the amounts go to two Euros and are used for times like these.)

2) I've tried to offer some visuals for the stops most travelers will use, but generally, I find the bus drivers to be very helpful when you've been nice to them. Try to stay near them, and they will often let you know where to get off.

3) Our US credit cards do not work in train station automated machines and we need manned ticket counters. Fumbling with the machines shouts "tourist!" and can attract pickpockets...don't do that and know they aren't likely to work - it's best not to try. Thie lines at the VIllefranche station ticket counter can be hactic, especially after a ship's landing, and this is another reason to walk to Beaulieu and catch the 83 bus direct to Eze Village.. You'll buy your ticket from the bus driver and be good to go without worrying about your US credit card.

4) The marquis for the trains and buses will display the final final destination. As long as your destination is between your starting point and the destination on the marquis, you are, again,good. to go. For the routes I've mentioned, copy the bus routes and carry them with you. When you ask for help from someone you don't understand and they don't understand you, showing the schedule goes a long way towards getting you where you need to go.

The walk from Beaulieu toward Port St. Jean will be towards the sea, and the other way, you will have a stunning view of the mountains' rapid rise from the coastline. Check the schedule, but I'm pretty sure the 81 bus stops at the Villa Kerylos between the 83 bus stop and where it turns onto Cap Ferrat and ends at the port. With your back to the sea, he entrance to the promenade will be to your right from the port's bus stop.

You can do this! Be sure to look at the map that's centered in Beaulieu sur Met and tou can move it around to see Cap Ferrat and Villefranche. I'm in South Carolina and working from an IPad, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

Another tip: Unless it's gone up, the public restroom in Eze Village are 40 centimes and you can't get change. Try to carry those coins with you. Most restaurants will have complimentary restrooms.

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics