We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

Which Villefranche-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Topic
Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

I am travelling with 4 people. 2 have been to Nice. We are coming from Paris and going to Levanto. We are not looking to lose an entire day on the train so wondering if I should stay in either Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice for two nights. Anyone have a recommendation? We are 2 couples both in early 30s. Love good food, beaches, hiking, and exploring. Shopping is great but not a priority.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

I would prefer Villefranche, but you will have more options for lodging in Nice. Know that parking will not be easy in Villefranche, and Nice's beach is the region's natural pebbles/stones. Villefranche's beach is softer but still, a little coarse. Your softest beaches are going to be in Cannes and in Antibes/Juan les Pins where sand is imported. You may also want to look at Beaulieu sur Mer, but know that the resorts at The Reserve and Hotel Riviera are on the high end side.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

Just to check ....when are you planning this trip?

Djibouti, Djibouti
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

mid June is when i would be in France. I will be coming from Paris and going to Levanto. I just think Paris to Levanto is a little aggressive, otherwise I would just do that and lose most of a day. But it seems stopping in between would breakt it up a little bit. Maybe I am naive. Its been known to happen.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 20:59
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

Villefranche and Nice are both great. Run a search here. The topic and comparisons have been discussed a lot.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

A stopover is a great idea

For a couple of nights in June I would choose Villefranche over Nice if you plan to spend time on the beach and some of your group have already been to Nice .

Hotel choices are far more limited in the relatively tiny Villefranche but extending your search to Beaulieu sur Mer next door which also has a sandy ish /grit beach and is also on the train line will pull in a few more accommodations covering all budgets

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

I would like to add Antibes to the pot. I think you would find parking easier and after a long day driving, better than going into/through Nice. Lovely sandy beach, the old town is lovely with morning market, good bars and restaurants

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

I'm starting to lean towards Antibes/Juan les Pins, but look at Cannes. Parking is going to be difficult in Villefranche, and Nice might be a bit "busy." Antibes is "old town," and it's adjacent neighbor, Juan les Pins, is "beachfront", but expect a younger vibe. I really haven't found parking in Cannes difficult, and IMO, that's where you will find the best beach and ocean view dining. The approch from the A8 to Cannes and Antibes can be a bit annoying, but you will get over it.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

If you are driving a rental car from Paris to (Sestri ?) Levanto, be aware of the huge drop charge if you don't return your car to France. Any reason why you want want to drive this huge distance rather than fly or take a train? You mention losing a day on the train, but driving will take several hours longer.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

I had assumed that the OP was travelling by train but simply preferred not to spend a whole day on board ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villefranche-sur-Mer or Nice?

Soooz you are right. Missed the train bit. So, yes, Nice would be my choice

Get answers to your questions about Villefranche-sur-Mer
More Villefranche-sur-Mer Topics