We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visitng gordes

Which Gordes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
visitng gordes

Hi there

Someone told me that there are so many day visitors in gordes, its nearly impossible to wald(in July). When is the best time to go there, in the evening or very early in the morning. Thanx

miami
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visitng gordes

Gordes is WONDERFUL, even though you will find people, it is not somthing that should be a big deal, the town is so charming that there is so much to see. There are also VERY charming towns near gordes you should consider.

south africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visitng gordes

Helo Javo10

Can you give me the names of the towns. We are going to visit St Remy, roussillon, Loumarin. Thanx

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visitng gordes

Roussillon, usually less crowded; Ménerbes; and Oppède-le-Vieux are all very attractive perched villages.

I found Gordes rather uninteresting--not that much to see, although the open-air vendor on the main square made a mean pain bagnat.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visitng gordes

You can find a lot of information on villages around Provence and markets, shopping, restaurants in

www.allaboutprovence.com

There there are all villages and town recommended as well as short description.

I found it very useful.

Also, I know very well Gordes, and it is crowded, but it is worth visiting. End of August and September are great months to go there, also spring is wonderful if you do not wish to swim everyday.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visitng gordes

Oops--left out the charming town of Bonnieux.

south africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visitng gordes

Thanx for responding, we are going to Bonnieux, Saigon,Les Baux,Gordes,Roussilon,Loumarin and St Remy. Then we are going to visit the wine area, Chateauneuf de Pape. Any suggestions for wine tasting? Thanx

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visitng gordes

A fun way to go wine-tasting in the Châteauneuf-du-Pape area is to just drive around the smaller vineyards and look for signs that offer tasting. The small vintners are very happy to let you taste their wines and even happier if you buy a bottle. Note: avoid the Provençal lunch hour, which runs from 12 to 2 o4 3 in the summer months.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visitng gordes

We just returned a couple days ago from this area.

We arrived in Gordes about 6:00 P.M. and left the next morning at 9:00 A.M. Didn't see any other tourists. Well, lots of tourists go places like this on tour busses which mostly seem to depart by 4:00 P.M. Gordes was quite delightful. We rounded the curve in the road and there it was across the canyon from us! ...like a treasure at the end of the rainbow after a hard day of driving.

Of the five or six villages we saw we liked Gordes and Roussillon best.

Menerbes - I crossed it off my list. Wouldn't go back there. It just didn't interest me.

Bonnieux - nice.

Loumarin - It's so close to a big city that there are a lot of the city people there. They're different than village people and the atmosphere is accordingly different. Loumarin is more a town than a village. We were there on a Friday morning and enjoyed shopping in the open air market.

We went to Les Baux a couple years ago in late July. It was hot and when we discovered we were going to have to walk way up from the parking area we decided to forego the visit. I would still like to see it. It looked interesting.

We stayed in St Reme on that same visit and happened to be there for the running of the bulls! What a surprise that was!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visitng gordes

Bulls in st-Rémy? Wow! Tell more, please.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visitng gordes

Check out the church in Gordes. It's bright and cheerful and even looks like it might be used. They also have a good market.

Better than Roussilon, I think, is Bonnieux which is actually on the way. There is more to do and see. The drive from Bonnieux to Lourmarin is also very scenic.

Jeem

Get answers to your questions about Gordes