We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first week of december Luberon livliest village

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
first week of december Luberon livliest village

Hello all, looking for a Luberon stay in first week of December, hoping to stay where atleast a few restaurants stay open on the weekends and also some cafe's/fromaggeries/attractions will be open, staying Friday-Monday and per Rick Steves Lourmarin is the place to stay in winter. Any reccomendations between Lourmarin/Bonnieux/Gordes/LaCoste or another?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first week of december Luberon livliest village

Another Rick Steves disciple.....

Bonnieux has a little over 1,000 residents. There will be some activity.

There might be a couple of hundred people in Lacoste in December.

Apt will have the most activity.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first week of december Luberon livliest village

I'm not sure how lively you are seeking. I've only been there in the summer during tourist times but here are some views. Liveliness is not what comes to mind with the Luberon. Of those you list, Gordes is largest with more to do. Bonnieux is my favorite with a couple of great restaurants.

Lacoste is very tiny and not lively at its busiest. In any event it is very close to Bonnieux and with a car you will be able to visit multiple of these towns a day.

Lourmarin is not a good representative of the region. It is flat and not a cute perched village like the others.

Have you considered staying in Aix or Avignon?

Edited: 25 March 2014, 16:39
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first week of december Luberon livliest village

We're just back from 10 days in Provence. We have an apartment in Bonnieux and have been there the last two years in December and will be there for 3+ weeks in December again this year. We love being there at that time of year. There are some special activities for the Christmas holidays, though they start a bit later than the first week of December.

All of the small villages will be quiet in December, but you'll want to be someplace where there is a reasonable number of permanent local residents. If you want "lively," then you'll want to stay in a town or a small city (Aix or Avignon)... or stay in a village and do some day trips to the bigger places.

Another suggestion would be to do a rental. Plan to eat most of your lunches "out" and cook some of your own dinners, perhaps with food you've bought at the market. Even though many restaurants are open, sometimes the schedules change and they're open fewer days.

Lacoste will be very quiet... I'm not sure if anything will be open. Visit there-- don't stay there.

Bonnieux will have several restaurants/cafés open, as well as the two boulangeries, butcher shop, alimentation. It will be quiet, but still active.

You may find Lourmarin more active, as it's bigger. For example, the market in Bonnieux this past Friday had maybe 20 sellers (compared with 100+ in late May). We went over the mountain to Lourmarin and the market was huge... perhaps 150 sellers and I'm sure it's much bigger during the season. There would be plenty to enjoy on the south side of the Luberon, but if you want to visit a number of places on the north side of the mountain, I think you'll tire of the drive through the pass.

I don't find Gordes as much of a "real" village, though I do like it and the views are outstanding. I wouldn't choose to stay there in December.

The town of Apt could be an interesting place to stay in the Luberon and since it's bigger will have more activity, plus a fantastic Saturday morning market.

Kathy

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,432 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first week of december Luberon livliest village

I agree with Kathy above and will also add that St. Remy, while not the most charming, will be more "lively" than smaller villages and will have a reasonably large Wednesday morning market. If you end up not renting a place for a week then, perhaps, you could divide your time between Lourmarin (I think it is pretty and charming) and St. Remy or Apt.

5. Re: first week of december Luberon livliest village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:15