We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a central village to stay in the luberon area

Uxbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
a central village to stay in the luberon area

My husband and I have a trip planned to the south of France this October. We will be flying in to Marseille and have a hotel booked in St. Remy for 6 nights. We were thinking that it might be smarter to spend one if those nights in the Luberon area on our way to the Gorge du Verdon. Can any one suggest a good village to spend a night in that is central to explore all the towns near by. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

I suggest staying below Gordes at La Ferme de la Huppe, which has the advantage (besides being a fine little hotel with a good restaurant) of proximity to the main road east to the Gorges du Verdon.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

+1 for the Ferme de la Huppe. It's a lovely place.

Just be aware that it is a rural location.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

St-Rémy-de-Provence is almost in the Luberon itself so I don't understand why you would want to go to all the effort of moving for one night to marginally reduce what is an easy day's round trip from St-Rémy doing the circuit of the Gorges du Verdon - and you can go via one side of the Luberon and return via the other to maximise new scenery en route.

If you need to be at the Gorges early - perhaps to hike along the bottom (not recommended unless you are VERY experienced hikers) - then you need to stay somewhere very close, not in the Luberon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

I would suggest you spend 2-3 nights if possible. The Luberon is so lovely and peaceful. Personally I prefer to change hotels more frequently and commute less, especially when drinking wine with dinner.

Look into the town of Bonnieux which has excellent restaurants and is beyond charming. I don't know if driving-wise it helps with your one night plan but if you stay 2 or do its a great base

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

Unlike Doby47, we HATE frequently relocating. Why? Because we enjoy exploring a region via a series of day-trips from a well-centered base, as doing so enables us to come to know a region AND not have to constantly relocate with our luggage in the car, as we visit different destinations.

We generally drive directly to a given days' primary destination, and spend the morning exploring it. We enjoy our mid-day meal at a nearby highly-regarded restaurant, and then wend our way back to our base via local scenic routes ( highlighted in green on the Michelin maps in the Local Series ( #332 - Drome, Vaucleuse, and # 340 - Bouches-du-Rhone, Var ). We visit any less-important sites on the way back to our base.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

I have done both. I don't think there is a right or wrong.

People vastly over-estimate the time it takes packing, unpacking and checking in/out of hotels. We have it down pat and it takes minutes.

We don't really like day trips as much as living in a place when we really want to get to know it. Waking up early, exploring, maybe taking a day trip from there but going back, strolling in the evening and seeing the place at night; being able to go back to the hotel to change clothes or grab something... eating dinner and not worrying about drinking, and then choosing to stop off in a pub without worrying about parking and driving back... all these reasons are why we prefer multiple bases. We hate to have to drive more than an hour or so for day trips and having to be on the road constantly.

It is a trade-off. Driving/commuting time vs. hotel check in/out time.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

Not sure why it matters if someone chooses to move around a bit. When touring we sometimes stay a night or two in a place then move on. Other times we stay put for awhile and do day trips. It's an individual thing.

The Luberon "valley" as I think of it is pretty small so none of the villages are that far from the others. I agree with spending a couple of nights there so you'll have more time to explore an extraordinary place. Bonnieux or Roussillon are both charming villages with good restaurants and hotels. I would choose someplace where you can walk to dinner or dine in the hotel so you don't have to drive afterwards assuming you take wine with a meal. French drink and drive laws are very strict.

8. Re: a central village to stay in the luberon area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16