We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

florida
3 posts
Save Topic
why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

i don't quite understand why no one wants to help out the people who want itenarary ideas for those who are going to marseille for the first time? if people are going and are limited with time, they want to be as efficient as possible. please give some ideas of which places were really cool to see, and which places might be a waste of time. thanks.

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

Stevae--

In case you haven't picked this up from reading other threads, quite a few of the VERY experienced posters on the France/Paris forums recently "quit" TA (in the last few weeks or so), I guess because of boorish behaviour by other posters and disagreements about how these forums should be run. A number of them have come together on a new webpage that one of the disenchanted posters started. Unfortunately, it's only focus is Paris, while I'm more interested in the different regions and French society in general.

It's disappointing for me, not only because of the fund of information the departed members had to offer, but also because they were frequently the ones that kept new posts alive but having a quick (if not always kindly) response for new posters.

On the other hand, it seems there are still lots of VERY helpful folks around, and as for the others, I quess after several years of paying close attention to a particular site/forum, it might be time for most people to move on anyways?

CA
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

What's this new webpage?

As to Marseille, it's not a very popular destination, and is seldom mentioned on these boards.

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

Francophool--

I don't have the link on this (home) computer. I think GitteK posted it once and then forum monitors stopped the thread and deleted it, 'cause I can't find it now.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

There are several previous threads from last year listing sites. I did a quick search for you this one might get you started

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187253-i662-k5386…

I hope that helps.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

Marseille does not seem to be a popular destination on this forum.

I love Marseille, but I am no expert on it, so I don't post on specifics. I do love the old port and the pedestrian shopping district.

If you type Marseille into the search box of this forum, there are 18 pages of posts that reference Marseille. Many are quite informative.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

Forgive me for chiming in here since I'm a regular poster to the Italy forum who is now planning a first trip to France myself and so am monitoring these discussions. As a regular contributor to TA I have to comment on the original question, as well as its rather rude tone.

In case you are not aware, nobody on this forum who contributes their ideas and opinions is a professional nor are we paid to do it. It is quite a rude and thoughtless gesture to "expect" someone to respond to your inquiry either immediately but in fact, at all. It is possible that the expert in your area of questioning is on vacation. Perhaps they are ill. Perhaps, as has been explained, other boorish people on the forum have caused them to leave it for one reason or another.

This forum is, has been and should always be a civil place where people are GRATEFUL for the time and effort expended by the contributors. We should never EXPECT anything from anyone but simply appreciate what is given freely. Attitude and rudeness are neither welcome nor should they be tolerated.

In addtion, I might add that, as a frequent poster in my areas of Italy and Norway, there are many people who do not even bother to do the most cursory research before asking the same montonous and basic questions over and over again. The search box in the upper left hand corner is there for a reason and often many of the most basic questions can be answered by a brief search there. Then when clarification is needed or a more specific answer is required than you have been able to find, THEN you should post a question. By doing this your question will merit more regard and likely more useful and speedy reply.

Personally, if I were a Marseilles expert and I read this inquiry with it's demanding and rude tone, I absolutely would ignore it and move on to somebody else. So far I have been impressed with the enthusiasm and clarity of the postings throughout the France forums and am sorry to hear of the problems that have recently come up and upset those whose expertise is so welcome and appreciated here.

Let's all remember, especially new posters like Stevae, that this forum is a voluntary collective and we owe each other nothing so we should be appreciative of any and all advice offered and we should show respect to those who give of their valuable time by not complaining or generally contributing a bad attitude and by first having a regard for their time spent here by taking a moment to do some basic research before asking common questions that are easily answered by a moment's search on one's own.

Thank you in advance to all those contributors to this forum who have stayed to help those of us in planning stages to visit this beautiful area of the world. And welcome to those new posters and contributors to TA who become involved with the right attitude and for the right reasons.

LL

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

If you are not happy with the service you are receiving I would suggest you buy a guide book, they usually sell them at bookshops

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

FatChris--

I'm not sure who your comment is directed to???

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

FatChris is most likely referring to the OP, who doesn't seem to have come back to the thread.

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why no help with suggestions of best sites in marseille?

Ah, I see . . . I understand now.