We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille airport to old port transfer

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Marseille airport to old port transfer

We are 4 people and will be arriving at 9:30PM. i am looking to book an airport transfer to our hotel in the Old Port. The one quote that I received was = to $150. a bit high. anyone have any suggestions?

Sue

Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseille airport to old port transfer

NYSue,

I can't remember what time the shuttle buses from the Airport to Gare St. Charles (the main train station in Marseilles) stops running. If it's 24/7 you're golden. They run about every 20 minutes and they shouldn't cost more than $12.00 per person each way. Once you're at the train station, you'll want to go downstairs to the Metro Station (the subway station). For about $2.00 per person you'll be able to get to the Vieux Port. If you can all navigate the Subway in NY, trust me, you'll have no problems w/the Metro in Marseille. There are only two lines and they cross at Gare St Charles. Check to see how long the walking distance is to your hotel from Vieux Port Station. (They're may be a closer station.)

That's the cheapest way to do it and I really wouldn't hesitate to do it myself, but this is predicated on the fact that all shuttles and trains are running after your arrival. I have a vague memory of the shuttles stopping at 10:30pm...which is cutting it close for a 9:30pm arrival.

Good luck.

You may want to consider the shuttle bus to Gare St Charles, and then take a taxi from there to your hotel in Old Port. (Though you may have to take two, depending on your luggage situation). Again, at least you'll save on the greater distance from the Airport which is outside the city in Marignane. (Think Newark Airport to Grand Central Station...only on a smaller scale...though Marseille is the 2nd largest city in France).

Thinking outside the box here, but if you truly can't find transportation for less than $150.00 (is that one way?) you might consider staying your first night at an airport hotel with complimentary shuttle service to/from the airport. Don't know your personal comfort requirements, but you might be able to get something for less than $150.00. (Depending on the day, you might get something VERY reasonable. Then get up the next morning, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport to catch the shuttle into Marseille proper. Unless you've prepaid for your hotel in Old Port, they might shave off the first night which will offset the cost of a hotel at the Airport.

Again, I'm just tossing out an idea. Don't know if it's practical for your situation. Hope this helps.

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille airport to old port transfer

Thanks so much for the info. I'm hesitant to relay on the timing considering the arrival is 9:30PM and international flights are rarely on time.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marseille airport to old port transfer

After an international flight and given the timing I would accept the $150 as good value for "door to door" transfers.

4. Re: Marseille airport to old port transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Marseille
Recent Conversations