We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to choose hotel

Montreal
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to choose hotel

I am looking for a nice 4-star hotel, in or around Marseille, with easy access to Cassis, les Calanques, Aix-en-Provence, little towns around Marseille.

Is Marseille the right place to stay?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to choose hotel

> easy access to Cassis, les Calanques, Aix-en-Provence, little towns around Marseille. Is Marseille the right place to stay?

I think so. Sofitel (5*), Radisson SAS, Mercure Beauveau in Vieux-Port area seem all nice. I have only stayed at 2, 3* hotels in that area so cannot tell from personal experience though, hotel quality-wise.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to choose hotel

Hi I am interested in finding a 2 or 3 star hotel in Marseille near the Port area and in a realativeily safe area. Can you advise any? Thanks JK

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to choose hotel

I always stay at Vieux Port area so the hotels where I have stayed and happy about price/quality wise.

2* Ibis Bourse (Accord Group)

This is fartherthan all the others from the port but still 3 minutes walk. If you reserve early on their website, the rate can be as lows as €49. From higher floors, 6th, 7th? some roooms have the view of the notre dame (but not port)

3* Résidence Vieux-Port

Directly on the port/quay. Beathtaking view of the port and the notre dame de la garde. Check my review I posted a few years ago. If they have finished renovation that was going on last year, it may be nicer and more expensive. €120 or more. Almost all the rooms are on the port side with balcony and the same view.

3* Escale Oceania. When I stayed a few times until a few years ago, it was called Mascotte. I paid then about €70-80 for spaceous rooms (some times maybe outdated but ok) , Cannebière side with balcony and port view or the other side without balcony but with port view, sideway. After renovation and now called Escale it should be more expensive.

1* Etape (Accor Group)

Usually Etape hotels are located somewhat far from the center but this is an exception. No port or great view (and small windows) but only a block away to the poirt. € 55 or so. Unlike Ibis of the same group, the rate is fîxed at this hotel

1 or 2* Alizé

Directly on the port. Port view room expensive for the room quality it seemed. I took cheaper room with no view. Plein room decor. Stayed only once. It was ok but I found the quality/rate less than the others.

All above hotels have air-con that worked. That's nice if you are going in summer.

I find View-Port area of Marseille quite safe. I stay up late and wander mainly on the quay and have had no problem, no alarming experinece during my multiple stays in last 10 years.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to choose hotel

Very many thanks for your help and info. I thas beem most useful. JK

5. Re: Need help to choose hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 05:17