We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa/Hotel near Marseille

London
1 post
Save Topic
Villa/Hotel near Marseille

Help - we are flying to Marseille in May for 6 nights and need to find somewhere to stay - either a villa or hotel but Villa is preferable and would like to be near the beach. We are hiring a car so can drive a fair distance - i'm just not sure where the best beaches are in the area - can anyone advise?

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa/Hotel near Marseille

I would most definitly head for Cassis and not stay in Marseille since you want the beach and I do not recommend them in Maseille.

Rentals are by the week Saturday to Saturday. Here is a site for rentals www.castellas-immobiler.com but there are others you can find on internet.

For Cassis the most convenient is to rent a car.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa/Hotel near Marseille

Cassis is a lovely "fishing" village and probably has one of the better beaches near to Marselle though to my mind none of the beaches near Marseille are that good.

Not sure when in May you are going but I am assuming late May for the school half term.

The weather should be good though changeable and the sea temperature will be cold.

To my mind the beaches of the Camargue to the west of Marseille are probably the best in the region with miles of golden sands.

I would think about looking for a villa in St Marie de la Mer. Google the town - it has a tourist page with an English translation.

This also gives you the chance to visit other towns if the weather is not beach weather.

A word of caution. It is possible to park directly on some beaches. This is fine in the summer when the sand has been compacted down by other cars. In the early part of the season the sand had been blown about by the Mistral and it is very easy to get stuck in it - and very difficult to get a tow out. So stick to the prepared car parks.

3. Re: Villa/Hotel near Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Marseille
Recent Conversations