We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to airport late at night

London
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
travelling to airport late at night

I will be travelling to the Marseille airport at around 9pm by myself (one girl). Just wondering what's the best and safest way to get there? Should I take the shuttle or by taxi (do I need to negotiate price before boarding?) or is there any reasonably priced airport taxi service to pre-book?

Many thanks for your help and advice!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to airport late at night

Official taxis have meters in France, so there is no need to negotiate. If the driver wants to negotiate, which could happen, just state that you want the meter, as without knowing what the average fare is you may end up by paying more. No tip is really necessary either, I just round up 1 or 2 €.

The shuttle will certainly be cheaper.

Then which is safer is all a question of perception, and personal feeling. At this time of the year 9pm is almost broad daylight.

London
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to airport late at night

thanks a lot for your advice

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to airport late at night

Hey,

You may take the bus shuttle service from Marseille train station. It is fast and reliable.

Taxi is a good option too but a bit pricey.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to airport late at night

You're looking at 50-60 Euros, maybe more, for a taxi. The airport shuttle bus will be running at 9pm and it's perfectly safe.

There can be some slightly dodgy types hanging out around the train/bus station in the evening, especially on the terrace overlooking the city, but inside it's busy and well-policed.

5. Re: travelling to airport late at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 22:17