We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marseille as a holiday destination

rochester
8 posts
Save Topic
marseille as a holiday destination

have never really thought about Marseille for a holiday - more as a port.

what are the beaches like and how accessible are they from town/residential areas?

Views on Marseille for a holiday please and excursions from there

many thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

Marseille is more cosmopolitan than most towns in Provence, it's a nice town, but in my opinion it's not a real reflection of the area.

Depending on where you are staying, you can easily get to most beaches, I've been to Prado beach which was very nice and easily accessible. There are others, but I am not familiar with them:

marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles…

As for excursions, if you are able to rent a car, that would ideal, there are lots of things to see within an hour or 2 drive from Marseille.

Nimes, Pont de Gard, Avignon, Cassis, Aix, Les Baux de Provence, etc are all places that are worth a visit.

If you want to stay at a place by the sea, Cassis is terrific, as are many other smaller towns along the coast. La Ciotat, Bandol, La Seyne sur Mer are all nie towns along the coast and are on the same highway.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

In many ways you can think of Marseille as you might think of Liverpool. Big lively cities with a great history (Marseille was actually established by the ancient Greeks). Many of the places mentioned above can easilly be reached by train as can a number of resorts on the coast west of Marseille, the Cote Bleu, such as Carry-le-Rouet which are popular but hardly mentioned in international forums. I would think of Marseille as being a place for a city break rather than a holiday resort if you see what I mean.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

If you are coming to the south of France for the first time Marseilles is probably not a good choice. As railtraveller mentions Liverpool it would be like going there when you really want the Lake District. It is a big gritty city ( my social worker friend loves it because it offers lots of research material).

But on the sea you really want Cassis, Le Lavandou, Hyeres, St Tropez ( well, maybe not...!) and the Cote d'Azur further east. Inland the archtypal Provence - as mentioned, Nimes, Avignon, Arles., Aix en provence, St Remy etc...

Ed

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

Marseille beaches are a major no-no.

Go either to Cassis or La Cote Bleue as already advised above.

scotland
Level Contributor
220 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

Don't bother with Marseille as a holiday destination...use the airport for arrival and head to Nimes and use this as a base for avignon, camargue, montpellier etc. A much more pleasant experience.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

Probably first determine the places you want to visit, then decide where to stay, and even change places if you want to see both eastern and western Provence. As you seem to be talking about accessing beaches, maybe Nimes is not ideal, however charming a place, as it is totally inland.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

We'll be in France in 0ctober and November--we've been there several times, visiting different parts of the country. This time we'll be in Paris of course, as well as Lyon, and have in fact rented an apartment in Marseilles as we have never been. We're not really beach people, and have done the quaint villages and coastal resorts of Provence thing. We've spent time--and loved it in large unruly cities around the worldlike Naples, and Mumbai. I've noticed for the most part people being warned against Marseilles on this board. Are there any Marseilles lovers out there--or at least likers who could reassure us that we have not made a terrible mistake in planning to spend a week there?

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

If you enjoyed Mumbai and Naples you'll enjoy Marseille..........I do.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

I see that a lot of people here are saying no to Marseille, but why exactly??

It's internationally known, so there's gotta be a reason for it.

I am a little confused

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: marseille as a holiday destination

There's lots to see and do in Marseille itself and it's also a very good base for exploring this part of southern Provence by train, bus or car -- the weather should still be relatively mild, with luck, in Oct/Nov and the calanques boat tours should be running unless the Mistral blows for the whole week. I'd certainly prefer it over Nimes as a holiday base, as the transport links are so much better.