We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille or Nice?

Northern California
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Marseille or Nice?

We will have a couple of extra days in Provence in early July. We plan on seeing the "usual" spots - Arles, Avignon, Aix, St Remy, etc. But at the end of our trip, we can't decide whether to visit Marseille or Nice . . . don't have time to do both. Anyone with suggestions on which? Marseille makes me a tad nervous (I've been reading all the posts on this forum). But Nice seems a bit far to try and get there. And we will have a rental car. Thank you!

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseille or Nice?

Hi, if you're staying near Avignon, the journey to Nice is about 2 1/2 hours by motorway, plus the drive into town so maybe with the prospect of a five hour plus round trip, the decision will make itself?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille or Nice?

Don't worry about Marseille....it had a bad reputation years ago....it is fine. The reality is, it is a big, industrial waterfront city with all the good and bad that comes from that. It is The "European Capital of Culture" for 2013, so lots of Festivals and events going on.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
866 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marseille or Nice?

Nothing comon between the both towns

Nice is quite Rich and touristic, but with the car, the highway is really expensive!! Marseille is quite poor and not really touristic. But 2013 is the european capital of culture, so why not.

Anyway, if it was me, I would just go to La Ciotat or Cassis, relaxing a bit :)

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marseille or Nice?

With only a couple of days following your time exploring the Bouches-du Rhone, I totally understand your not wanting to do the "big city thing - ie Marseille or Nice. However, this year, I really urge you to opt for Marseille, since it is the "European Capital of Cullture", and there will be lots of extraordinary events throughout the tourist season.

Northern California
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marseille or Nice?

Thank you, everybody! Based on all that you've written, and posts I've read in different forums, I think we'll discover the sights in Marseille . . . . it sounds like it's a good year to visit there! We look forward to our time in Provence and Marseille!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marseille or Nice?

The one thing that would make me nervous about Marseille is that 'City of Culture' thing. Get there and see it quick before it becomes just another Barcelona - a trendy weekend drinking place for stag and hen parties.

If you do feel you have to come to Nice take the train. It hugs the coast in a spectacularly scenic route which is worth it for that alone. The inland autoroute is boring and bland.

Ed

7. Re: Marseille or Nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Marseille