We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseilles Airport

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Marseilles Airport

We are going to book a Ryanair flight from Edinburgh to Marseille and then onto Corsica for the end of June but have to spend 4 hours in Marseille Airport.

It wouldn't really bother me but I'm worried about Marseille Airport as my husband has been ill. I have read that the airport is awful (Skytrax Airport Reviews) and my French friends have told me not to use it. The cost is very reflective in the price and we are also going with a budget airline but due to my husband's health, I'm worried about apparent queuing for a long time with no seating, especially at the gate, no trolleys etc...

Please could someone advise me?

Marseille
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseilles Airport

MP2 (the budget airlines part of the airport) was fairly awful with, as you say, long queues, nowhere much to sit and very little to eat or drink. MP2 has now had a facelift - there are new shops and new places to eat, but I don't actually know of anybody who as been through it.

I believe the old "cattle shed" experience is now a thing of the past , but perhaps somebody who is familiar with recent improvements can give you the low-down on what has replaced it.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseilles Airport

I am assuming you are flying into and out of MP2 which is the terminal used by Ryanair and other budget airlines.

Yes it can be a nightmare and despite some minor works it is still little more than a cattle shed. Three weeks ago it took us 2 hours to get through security but last week (despite the security staff making me go through screening 3 times because they would not believe that I did not have an iPad in my bag) it only took a few minutes. So much depends on what flights are going out with you at the same time.

Once through there is seating and a small bar/cafe. It can get very hot and stuffy too.

When called for your flight it is possible to spend a long time standing at the gate waiting to board and this can be hot and noisy - no seating available.

You might consider paying the extra fee for assigned seating. That way you need not rush to queue up at the gate and can take your time arriving there to avoid standing.

There are lifts at MP2 but there is a lot of walking.

All that said if you are prepared for it, the terminal is no worse than other terminals used by budget airlines - don't let it put you off the holiday!

Edited: 13 May 2013, 17:39
Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marseilles Airport

Having been to Marseille airport a few weeks ago, I was struck that on entry the only seats I could see were at cafés. We arrived before the airline opened to take luggage, so bought a drink and sat down, as I can't stand for long.

You can book a wheelchair for your husband, so he'll be taken right to the plane by staff. You need to book in advance through your airline, and a wheelchair will then be available - usually from the help desk. He'll be able to take advantage of this service at your UK airport as well as at Marseille, and also on the return journey if you request it.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marseilles Airport

Thank you so much for your replies, I wouldn't normally care much as we are flying relatively cheaply! But, it's the hot and stuffy queuing part that concerns me, as well as the squash in trying to get in the queue in order to get seated together on the aircraft.

Maybe I should avoid it altogether and try and transit through Nice to Corsica, with Air France? Although paying for Ryanair's allocated seating would help a bit, I'll see how much that is and if there are any seats together that we can book..

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marseilles Airport

We've booked to travel through Marseille now, so hope it's not too bad!

We will have to look after our suitcases until we can check in with Air Corsica. Can anyone advise us if we can go outside at all, if it's a nice day, and sit on our cases? :-)

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marseilles Airport

Outside of MP2 is the drop off zone but there is a small grassed area with a low stone wall that we often sit on. Its quite nice on a sunny day.

Outside of the main terminal is pretty grim with lots of smokers.

Happy holidays!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marseilles Airport

The MP2 low-cost terminal is, as others note, pretty grim (I travel through it about once a month). In particular, if you rush straight to the boarding gate when your flight is called, you can end up standing for half an hour or more in the queue with no seating or air-conditioning. It gets pretty hot there in summer.

To avoid this, I would treat yourselves to assigned seating. I would also go over to the adjacent Terminal 1 (a five minute walk from MP2) for the four hour wait between flights. It is much quieter and has plenty of bars and restaurants, including a recently opened gastronomic one.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marseilles Airport

Thank you so much for your replies, I wouldn't normally care much as we are flying relatively cheaply! But, it's the hot and stuffy queuing part that concerns me, as well as the squash in trying to get in the queue in order to get seated together on the aircraft.

Maybe I should avoid it altogether and try and transit through Nice to Corsica, with Air France? Although paying for Ryanair's allocated seating would help a bit, I'll see how much that is and if there are any seats together that we can book..

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marseilles Airport

That's excellent information, thank you! I've paid for assigned seating now (A bit of a rip off but I've taken your advice and thought it was a good idea too!) I'll also walk through to terminal 1, pity we will have two suitcases but we can't win it all!

10. Re: Marseilles Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 07:18