We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scnf

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
scnf

HI,

I've got couple of questions concerning train travel in provence.

1) Shoud I buy tickets in advance?

2) Are tickets readily available at train stations?

3) Could I pay by mastercard?

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,585 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scnf

For the best prices, book as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at en.voyages-sncf.com/en and for notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

You could usually buy just before travel, but you would pay full price. Mastercard would be accepted for online purchases and at stations.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scnf

For local trains, there is no need to make a reservation and no need to buy your ticket in advance.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 12:30
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,585 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scnf

Ah yes. If the voyages-sncf web site shows that the trains are "TER", there is no point in trying to buy in advance over the Internet. TER trains have no seat reservations (so seats cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scnf

There ARE discounts on local TER trains - special rover tickets, reduction cards [ various Carte Zou], special travel cards tying in with marseille's cuture year , age related discounts etc etc

When are you travelling ? what age are you?

which journeys do you want to make?

Edited: 29 May 2013, 12:39
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scnf

I will be travelling next week around marseille, avignon, arles, nice, menton, cannes. monaco.

I have my 26th birthday in October.

I've tried to book TGV from Avignon to Nice and due to my age <26 I couldn't have done it because when I'm trying to book normal ticket I can't (error on page) and I don't see any option to choose for a discount.

Could you please help? :)

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scnf

Can you break your itinerary down for me?

eg are you staying in nice and visiting menton cannes monaco?, and also staying in avignon and visiting marseille and arles?

when you say next week , do you mean you will be doing all your traveling between the 2nd and 8th or something else?

There are significant line closeures in this area betweeen the 13th and 17th june-so this is really important info

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: scnf

selkieNice, It will be something like this:

Monday: Marseille - Arles

Monday: Arles - Avignon

Wednesday: Avignon - Nice

Thursday: Monaco - Nice (or by bus)

Friday: Nice - Cannes

Saturday: Nice - Menton (or by bus)

Saturday: Nice - Marseille

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: scnf

The option is just to choose

Adult 0

Youths 1

TER tickets remain valid for 2 months after purchase as long as they haven't been date-stamped.

Remember you'l have to stamp your tickets before going on board.Lots of yellow punching machines near platforms.

If renting a bike you may be able to take it on board outside peak hours.

..."In Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur on all trains, bikes are not admitted from Monday to Friday from 7.00 – 9.00am and 4.30 – 6.30pm."

…sncf.com/your-bike-on-the-train/…

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scnf

If you buy a carte zou 50/75% - under 26 for 15 euros ][which i s available to non residents] you will get half price travel on the following train prices=

There is no point in taking TGVs as they are about the same journey time over these distances , in some cases are less handy as tgv station is a distance from the town centre and also they are more expensive since it is so close to travel time [plus you cannot get half price on tgvs using the carte zou 50/75

The following are all TER normal prices-you are not locked in to a specifc train time:

Monday: Marseille - Arles 14.90 € -

Monday: Arles - Avignon centre TER 7.30 €

Wednesday: Avignon center - TER Nice 46.80 €

Thursday: Monaco - Nice (or by bus) 3.70 €single/ assuming you return since next day leaving Nice - 7.4

Friday: Nice - Cannes 6.60 €single assuming you return since next day leaving Nice 13.20

Saturday: Nice - Menton (or by bus) assuming you return since next day leaving Nice

5.00 € single

10 euros return

Saturday: Nice - Marseille 33.20 €

total without the carte zou 50/75 = 132.80euros

with carte zou 5075 it would be 66.40 plus 15 for the card - ie 81 euros

You need copy of ID, plus passport photo for the carte zou 50/75% and can buy it immediately before travel, though you will need a bit of time for the formalities of creating the temporary card .

It shouldn't matter about your home address as these cards are open to everyone [ 30 euros for over 26s] but if necessary give your accomodation address

Edited: 29 May 2013, 14:34
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scnf

There are other TER discounts but they are not suitable/or work out more expensive for your travel