We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
62 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

I would really like to stay in Aix-en-provence and then bus it to Nice where I would then like to fly out to Barcelona. Do any of you know if its cheaper to bus it or take a train to Nice. How much is it? And what bus companies should I use!

And also is Marseilles safe? I thought it was fine but then I was reading a little about it and I got a little apprehensive...

Thank you!

Indianola, Iowa...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

In regards to Marseille and your safety, we were there last July and had no problems at all. We visited during the day with our cousin (marseille native) and went to Nore Dame de la Guard, took a ferry to Chateau d'If nd walked around shopping near Vieux Port. Then we drove along the coast to a beach and saw the Mediterranean. Our Uncle warned us to not be downtown at night and take typical precautions you would in any large city, but we never felt unsafe at all. Hope this helps....Marseille was beautiful! Don't miss it!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

Marseille is certainly safer than Portland. It is a port city of 1.5 million people....take the usual precautions.

Costs to travel depends on when you are travelling and perhaps booking in advance.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

Safety - The advice in No.1 seems sensible - of course not everyone has a street wise local relative to guide them. My acquaintance with Marseille is only casual but asking around over the years on the Cote d'Azur I have found that few residents here have actually taken the trouble to visit Marseille which is, after all, France's 2nd largest city. This is probably akin to residents of Yonkers never going to New York ( sorry for the ponderous attempt to localise this in US terms). It is far more likely to be visited by foreign tourists. Marseille does have a 'reputation' in the French media but in reality this is limited to Marseille Nord - and in fact the 'idyllic holiday island' of Corsica has far more alarming crime statistics if you Google it.

Ed

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

Ed....it's only the murder rate on Corsica that is high! But they only use their bullets on one another and the French halves of the road signs. :-)

Tourists are very safe there.

5. Re: Bus/Train from aix-en-provence to nice? & is marseille safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:18