We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MRS to Avignon

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
MRS to Avignon

hi all - sorry if this question has been asked one million times.

I need to get to Avignon from MRS.

is it easy to get a cab or shuttle to the train station (Gare St. Charles right?)?

is this train a regional train and not the TGV? I'm a little confused by the SNCF and the TGV thing. do they both operate to and from Avignon and one is high speed and the other not?

thanks

I assume I need to catch a shuttle or cab from the airport to the train station? and I assume there is a reginal train (not the TGV)

Finland
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MRS to Avignon

From MRS to Marseille St Charles station, simply take the airport bus.

You can also take a bus from MRS to Aix en Provence TGV station for a TGV direct to Avignon TGV station.

From Marseille St Charles you get to Avignon either by a TGV train or an Intercités train. Visit voyages-sncf.com for route planning. I would not take a TER train, as it is very slow and not much cheaper than TGV or Intercite on that route. The fare is some 25 euros. There may also be some disturbance on TER, as people hop on and off all the time. At night time especially, not very pleasant I should think.

SNCF is the abbreviation of Societe National Chemins de Fer (National Railways Company) and TGV for Train de Grande Vitesse (High Speed Train).

The regional trains (stopping at every station) are called TER (Transports Express Regional) and the inter-city trains are called Intercités, stopping at major stations only.

Note that trains marked "DB SNCF" on the website timetables are Intercity trains with some kind of joint venture effort between Deutsche Bahn (German Rail) and SNCF..."CAR" is a bus (road transport) and TGV Lyria is a French-Swiss TGV partnership.

At Avignon, the station for TGVs is outside town (SW), but not very far. There are shuttles or taxis to take you further. See raileurope.com/europe-travel-guide/france/av… for detailed information.

Here's a simple aid to illustrate your trip.

rome2rio.com/s/…Avignon

Hope this helps and have a safe trip.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 17:50
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MRS to Avignon

The other option is to take the shuttle bus to the nearby station of Vitrolles, and go from there to Avignon Centre. The only snag of this is that there are times of day when there are gaps in the service. However, the timetable of both the shuttle and the train service are given on the Marseille Provence Aeroport website.. If you have to wait, either do it at the airport or go into Marseille St Charles - there is nothing to do at Vitrolles.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MRS to Avignon

thanks so much - this is very helpful.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MRS to Avignon

ok - new details have emerged. I'm going from Gatwick to MRS on saturday sept 7. I'll be with my wife.

all the cheapest flights are getting me into MRS at 8:30 or 9pm. trains seem to stop running around this time. I don't want to bother my hosts with having to pick me up in avignon either.

how much for a hired car -- can you recommend one to take us the 87km to the villa.??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MRS to Avignon

If you want to explore Provence, you are going to have to rent a car anyway. Provence is not particularly well served by public transport.

6. Re: MRS to Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Marseille