We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to live in Marseille

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to live in Marseille

I am moving to marseille in the coming month to study, however I am extreemly terrified after I have read about safy there. I read about rape, theives during the day, gun shots, danger at night, assaults in trains... I am extreemly terrified!! Should I change my plans? Or live at montpellier instead and take the tgv to go to my university in marseille? Please advice.

Thank you

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

I think what you are reading is many years out of date. We were there at the end of June and felt perfectly safe. Not sure where you come from so maybe a large city is worrying to you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

I think that the information that you are being provided with is from decades ago. Marseile is a port city of 1.5 million people with all of the plusses and minusses that go with it. But it is hardly the centre of rape and murder that you are describing.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 02:32
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

Thank you very much :)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

Oh for heavens' sakes, that's years' -old info.It's a wonderful city, A little gritty, as all port cities are but you'll be fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,174 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

A "Popeye" Doyle flashback, no doubt.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

There have been several recent reports of gang warfare and stabbings, These mainly take place in certain suburbs or at times of the night when no honest person would be outside. Use common sense & don't hang around in seedy neighbourhoods at 3 a.m. and you shouldn't have any problems.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

Actually, not so many years ago. Try 2012 and 2013 for serious problems being reported.

…washingtonpost.com/2013-03-20/world/3785769…

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/marseill…

It's probably no worse that many other European cities, but there are obviously certain neighbourhoods that you should avoid. As a tourist it is pretty easy to avoid them, but maybe not so easy if you live there. Just make yourself aware of the problem areas and as tradeform says, use your common sense, and you should be fine.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 07:03
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

A friend, who is a sociologist, loves going to Marseille as there is so much material for her researches.

Ed

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

Welcome to the forum Aliiiiice.

It's natural to be worried about a move to another country as well as being exciting, and even more so when you see a lot of crime when looking online etc. Marseille has had a bad reputation for years, as others have mentioned. But as long as you are sensible about particular areas, which you will soon learn about once you're installed, not wandering around them in the early hours etc, you'll be fine; taking normal precautions apply to Marseille too.

There have been many changes in Marseille for its year as capital of culture - all positive from a visitor's point of view, with some stunning new buildings. September brings the third episode of events for the year - September to December "Marseille Provence - a Thousand Faces", which you'll be there for. It will feature some of the area's most renowned artists and philosophers. I'm hoping to visit for a few days while this part id on.

Good luck for your studies and I hope you'll soon settle into Marseille and make friends.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to live in Marseille

Please no, not the "Is Marseille safe?" question again!