We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

We will be in Marseilles for one day this November. Is there any transportation available from the pier to either the center of town or to Pope's palace?

Thanks,

Maureen

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

The Pope's Palace is in Avignon, not in Marseille.

Is that where you want to go?

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

Your best bet assuming you want to go to Avignon is renting a car. In November it should take about 1 h 1/2. Or a taxi to Gare Saint Charles in MRS then a train to Avignon.

As your time in MRS is most likely limited, the car is best.

Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

Yes, but we have no idea how to do it! Any thoughts? Thanks! Maureen

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

Can you be more specific? Do what, rent a car? Take the train?

Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

Sorry I was so ambiguous! THE TRAIN: Do you know where I can look for a schedule? When I get to Avignon will I need a taxi and are they readily available? THE RENTED CAR: Is it an easy run on main roads between the two cities? Also, is their steering wheel on the same side of the car as ours? (I see you're from Philly).

Thanks again,

Maureen

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

France was never a British colony (although they tried hard!) so steering is same as US! Can you drive stick or need automatic transmission. Automatic is available. With smart phones now everything is easy, even Google Maps or any mapping application will get you to Avignon. Mainly highway so fairly easy. Signage very clear unlike the US...

Train schedules www.sncf.com

Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

Thanks again! Great info!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

About automatics: yes, they are available, but primarily at major airports. If you read some of the posts here from unhappy travelers you will see that being guaranteed an automatic doesn't mean that you will actually get one.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

I was in Marseilles yesterday and I am sure you have good reason to want to go to the Popes palace but if you only have one day then there is so much to see and do in Marseilles - it's a very wonderful city!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marseilles cruise terminal to Pope's Palace

I lived in Marseille many years and love the city, however, Avignon and the Pope's Palace are quite unique and I would not hesitate even a brief instant...

Get answers to your questions about Marseille