We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices in Marseille

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
prices in Marseille

Hi all,

I'm considering a trip with my mum to Marseille this October, just wondering if anyone can tell me how the prices compare with other European citybreak destinations?

Would be really handy to know price of a beer, price of dinner in mid-range restaurant, price of museum entry etc.

thanks in advance!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices in Marseille

hi

It is difficult to compare. Let's say it is definitely cheaper than London and Paris.

Although that as far as beer is concerned, France is anyway a lot more expensive than the UK.

For instance, there is a pub called The Red Lion in Marseille. During Happy Hour (5 to 9pm), a pint is at 4.5€.

Museums are usually very cheap. Either free, or a few euros. MuCEM museum is probably the priciest: 8 euros.

Mid-range restaurant dinner. Mmmmm I'd say 40 euros with a starter, main dish, and some wine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices in Marseille

Hollie....what is it that you are looking for in a destination? Marseille is a port city of 1.5 million people. It can be described as gritty, "rough around the edges" to just plain rough.

It is very multicultural...quite historic but it certainly isn't choc-a-bloc with museums and art galleries.

You can find accomodations, food, drink, entertainment etc. to suit any budget....it just depends how adventurous you are.

If you can let us know more about what you are looking for, we can likely help you more. How long are you planning to go for?

Edited: 28 September 2013, 02:15
Essex
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices in Marseille

A pub down on the front of the port area (can't remember it's name), Irish one with football flags and scarves. Mainly West Ham and Marseille. Anyway that had lots of deals like buy one get one free and that was about 3euro a drink so not too bad.

The Red Lion is on/bear the seafront if I recall. it was very busy and lively when I went on a Saturday night there. They had a DJ playing but a very lively crowd. Good atmosphere no bother.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices in Marseille

Marseille lacking in museums and galleries? I think not. A huge number of new exhibition spaces have opened or been renovated this year as part of the Capital of Culture programme. Not sure why the Red Lion is a benchmark here. It's a lousy pub out of the centre of town that, despite the name, doesn't even serve English beer.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices in Marseille

AnglaiseaMarseille Yes The Red Lion is a lousy pub by Brit standards. But somehow successful judging by the crowd it attracts at least on week ends. It is very popular among young marseillais of the southern quartiers.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices in Marseille

True! It's clearly not aimed at expats. No British telly either last time I was there.

7. Re: prices in Marseille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:18