We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Marseille.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Marseille.

We will be on a 12 day Med cruise with a one day stop in Marseilles. As yet I have done little research into our stopover ports as we also have near a month in Spain and Italy to ourselves which I have been trying to sort out.

My research so far has shown me this is a large city where the usual tourist destinations are widespread. I am loathe to take any organised tours (especially those offered by the cruise liners), however, I am starting to think Marseille may best be appreciated by a bus day tour. Is this a correct assumption?? If so, is any one able to make recommendations either of a company who may cater for cruise liner passengers or could you suggest the sites we should look out for if we have a variety to choose from.

I certainly agree with you that this is not the way to really get a feel for a place....I am viewing it as a 'taster" so we know where to come back and spend more time when our lives become less cluttered with things like work!!!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
548 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Marseille.

The best way to explore Marseille is on foot (or by metro).

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Marseille.

Agree with Tommi. You can use the HOHO bus or the little tourist train with their voice-over commentaries, but will remain at arm's length from the real city. There are some suggestions of what to see here: http://bit.ly/aGsvsM

Essex
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Marseille.

I am coming into Marseille Saturday and staying Ibis Velodrome. Is there anything nearby Saturday night near the hotel? I don't arrive till late after 9.

Also I have most of Sunday to kill as I am going to watch Marseille v PSG Sunday night. So I am thinking of hitting the beach or doing the boat trip out to the old fort/prison. Is this recommended? Does it take long to do?

Last question. I think I fly back around 11am Monday morning. Is it quick and easy enough to get back to the airport at around 8 or 9 am or is there lots of traffic and should I give myself some extra time.

Many thanks

Liam

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Marseille.

You can now visit Marseille with guided electric bikes, the best way to spend 1 day in Marseille.

Emmanuel

5. Re: One day in Marseille.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 17:17
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,031 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Marseille.

Nonsense spam post.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Marseille.

Hi Robyn,

A lot of cruise companies offer a shuttle bus to the city and back. If so use that. Otherwise grab a taxi. They aren't very expensive (a note here ... to the rest of the world taxis, among other things, may seem expensive in Europe. Compared to east-coast Australian prices they are not.)

Go to the Vieux Port (old port) have a wander around. There's a little free ferry that goes from one side of the Old Port to the other. The excellent Mucem is at the end of the Old Port. There are lots of lovely cafes and restaurants to enjoy.

If you want to put in more effort visit Notre Dame de la Garde on the top of the hill. You can't miss it. There is a wiki-train (little tourist train with wheels) that goes there, or a bus, or you could get your taxi to take you there then walk back down to the Old Port area.

Marseille is lovely.

J.

8. Re: One day in Marseille.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Marseille