We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille and other town as a base?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Marseille and other town as a base?

I'm planning a trip to Marseille in late March (9 days). My daughter is living there and we will probably visit Marseille and do day trips from there for half our time, then want to stay in another town. I'm hoping we can rent a van (?) because we have 6 people (husband, other daughter and 2 boyfriends).

I'm just starting our planning, and would like to have Marseille as a base and one other town as a base for exploring. We have stayed in Uzes and loved it but it might make sense to go farther from Marseille for our other base, and we would probably like to see new things, although Nimes, Pont du Gard, and Arles were all wonderful.

An ideal trip for us would include some hiking or biking as well as art, great food (though not fancy), and beautiful scenery. We don't mind driving and keeping busy.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

1. Re: Marseille and other town as a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 13:06
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille and other town as a base?

My daughter is pushing for Corsica. Any thoughts on going there for a few days from Marseille? I assume it would be too cold to snorkel, but I'm sure it's beautiful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marseille and other town as a base?

Corsica is indeed beautiful, but it goes into "hibernation" in the winter months. In March, a lot of restaurants, hotels and shops will be closed.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marseille and other town as a base?

Thank you for the suggestions. I think we will spend time in the Luberon area and stay in either Vaison-La-Romaine or L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. It looks like the towns are charming and the markets will be great.

One other question is about the area around Barcelonnette. My husband loves whitewater kayaking, and has found rafting in that area. I think that's getting beyond Provence, but we could drive there from Marseille and maybe spend a night there. Any ideas about this area?

Thanks!

5. Re: Marseille and other town as a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:17