We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

Olathe
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

Flight time 1hr 50 min + airport checkin time, etc, train time looks to be 4 hrs 50 min. Not a huge difference, flying may be a bit quicker. Question is, what does the French countryside look like thru Lyon? Would the scenery have a determining factor on the decision?

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

No, countryside mostly uninteresting.

Is there a cost difference?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,313 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

I'd go for the train, as it is the 'green' option.

And it's more civilised. You can get up, stretch your legs, go the the buffet car, even bring your own picnic and a bottle of wine on board! Try doing that on a flight.

It also saves you the trips to and from airports at either end.

Europe
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

I travel a lot between Brussel and Marseille / Aix, and I now use only the train. It is indeed a bit slower. But I leave the hotel in Brussel 30 minutes before train departure (against 2 hours for a flight), and once I'm seated I can work / read / watch a movie uninterupted until arrival. (Try that on a plane...) And wirewiper's "bar" argument is also valid of course. ;-)

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

The scenery is uninspired until south of Paris. However it passes through very pleasant hills in Burgundy. The line is aay from the river going down the Rhone valley but you can see mountains on both sides and of course those views continue to the north when the line swings eastwards after Avignon. So all-in-all it is not lie a trip through the alps but is quite a pleasant view.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

I probably did it too many times! Its not unpleasant I agree but not a deciding factor to choose train over plane!

6. Re: Brussels to Marseilles - fly or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:17