We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
,SC
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

We are disembarking from our cruise ship at 8AM next month. Is it realistic to try for the 9:12 AM TGV to Paris from there? As first time cruisers we do not know what to expect, does it take a long time to actaully leave the ship, get to a taxi to the train station and catch that train? We would like to spend as much time in Paris before flying home early the next morning.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

That sounds a bit risky to me. I see trains leaving nearly every hour for Paris, I'd suggest choosing a later train that you actually have a chance of making. You may also want to find out about how it will take to actually disembark as I've read that that this can be a slow process.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

No....you are cuttting it too fine.

A TGV ticket is good for a specific train, so if you miss that train, you'll have to buy another ticket at the station and that won't be cheap.

,SC
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

I kind of thought so- thanks for your input!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

Once you get off your ship it is just a few minutes via taxi to Saint-Charles station....about 15 or 20 euros.

The TGV takes 3 hours to Paris.

But 9:12 is just to risky.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

Nope, don't do that.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

"does it take a long time to actaully leave the ship?"

It CAN take a VERY long time! We once had to wait over three hours before it was our 'turn' to disembark. That was on a very large ship with nearly 3000 passengers though, so it can depend on the size of the ship.

7. Re: Risky to try and make TGV from Port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:15