We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

Which Marseille hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec, Quebec...
Level Contributor
10 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

Hello All!

I'm planning a trip to the south of France this summer and i will stay in Marseille for 4-5 nights. I have narrowed down my list of potential hotel to 2-3 (Adagio Vieux Port, NewHotel Vieux port and Suite Affaires) The first 2 have great reviews here and price are pretty close so location is what makes me hesitate.

I will arrive by train through St-Charles Station. Both seems to be between 10-15 minutes walk from the station. The questions i have would be:

- Is walking to those hotels with luggage easy or cumbersome enough to be needing a cab (hill, narrow sidewalks, too many people to go through)

- The adagio would be my first choice for the kitchenette but what about this area? Is it nice enough? Are there shops/grocery store close?

- What about evening around the Adagio? Is there a lot of things open like restaurants and bars or everything is close and shabby? I'm not asking about that whole ''safety in marseille issue"" but rather if i want to get out at 10pm for a drink or a quick snack, is there places open or do i have to have to walk 15 minutes on barely lite streets to find a place (happened to me in Paris once...kinda annoying...

Thanks!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

I would personally recommend Vieux Port rather than Panier.

Probably more central, better lit, and open.

I can't comment on hotels themselves.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

I don't know the Adagio hotel but it's set a bit away from the main action. It's probably about 8-10 minutes' walk to the Old Port. The rue de la Republique, which you would walk along, is a long Paris-style boulevard that got run down in recent years but has been refurbished and gentrified - it's busy and well-lit. However, high rents mean that businesses, restaurants and shops have been slow moving in.

The New Hotel is much better located. Again, can't comment on the hotel itself.

Quebec, Quebec...
Level Contributor
10 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

Thanks to you two!

I'll definitely give serious thought to your advice...Budget will also play a big part...

Thanks again!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

The walk from Gare Saint Charles to the Vieux Port is 20 mnutes. Then with luggage maybe more. Then there are the steps down from Saint Charles as well.

Not a lot going on Bd de la Republique and Vieux Port is animated as commented.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 12:51
5. Re: Panier vs Vieux port for hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15