We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

Hi there,

My fiancé and I are travelling around the south of France / Italy in July this year and I am trying to find somewhere really special and stunning to visit and stay near Marseille for her birthday which falls during the trip.

Ideally a secluded place with great ocean views in a quiet area (as quiet as anywhere can be in July!), or an old chateau or something - I want it to be memorable for her! Within an hour or so of Marseille would suit our itinerary well.

We have our own car for transport and as this would be a splurge night the budget could take up to say 500 euro for the night although obviously cheaper is better!

Any ideas or recommendations that I can look into further would be really appreciated!

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

You may want to check out L'Ousteau de Baumaniere, which is situated just below Les Baux-de-Provence. It is a lovely hotel that has a 2 star Michelin restaurant - the location is both super stunning and super historical.

Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
223 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

Marseille and stunning: Hotel Intercontinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu. It doesn't come cheap, in fact it is expensive but it is an extraordinary hotel and has fantastic views, e great bar and lovely service.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

Go to some other city, Marseilles is dirty. We were there yesterday afternoon and did not like it, stink everywhere.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

Thanks for the suggestions - these look good - anything else near Marseille anyone can recommend? Within an hour or so would suit - I was hoping to get to some nice romantic spot somewhere!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

For romance, L'Oustau de Beaumaniére it is. Dining outside at night is absolutely magical.

Another possibility would be Le Petit Nice-Passédat, in Marseille; it's a Relais et Château property, and those are always of a very high standard.

The restaurants at both properties are excellent.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

Look at the town of Cassis. It is a seaside village about 30-45 minutes from Marseilles. Gorgeous town and you can do a boat tour or hike of the Calanques. Look at the hotel les Roches Blanches with a nice restaurant and great views of the Mediteranean.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

I vote Les Roches Blanches + La Villa Madie 1 star Michelin in Cassis!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

La Villa Madie in Cassis now has two Michelin stars and would be a good choice IMO. I find Le petit Nice somewhat over-rated and stuffy personally.

9. Re: Looking for memorable 1 night stay near Marseille (Birthday)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Marseille
Recent Conversations