We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base myself? Help pls

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to base myself? Help pls

Hello all,

Earlier this week I booked flights to paris towards the end of July for work. The nice this is I will have a weekend free that I can go out and explore. I have seen pictures of Parc National Des Calanques and Love the idea of getting out of the city for the weekend and hiking and swimming and soaking up all the beautiful scenery !

I've only been looking into this for a couple days so I am still a bit at a loss. I know I have to book my TGV train tickets ASAP as it's so close to the date. So I'll be taking the train from Paris to Marseille, my question is considering that I am hoping for hiking time, swimming time ( I heard you can kayak too which would be awesome! ) I don't know where I should base myself, in central Marseille? Else where?

Keep in mind I will not have a car and be solely relying in public transport. Also I only have the weekend (wish it were longer but I have to go to back to paris for work) so time is of the essence.

Calanque du Sugiton also looks like it might fit the bill but I am hoping you all might be able to help me pick a location to base myself, let me know if I'll be alright with just public transport, which of the two sights mentioned might be better for me to get to/base myself near.

Also any other insights would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to base myself? Help pls

I would just recommend the M08 bus for the view.

You'll first get a full view of Marseille on the way up to the Gineste Heights and then a dramatic view of Cassis and Cap Canaille .

Departure from Place Castellane, arrival in Cassis center .

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp…

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH_01_Mars…

Sauf sam(edi)dim(anche)et fériés:Not running saturday, sunday and public holidays.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to base myself? Help pls

Thank you all for your suggestions, replies and various links that you have posted. They are very helpful and i am sure will be helpful to others as they search through the forms.

the one link that i was not so clear on is from Guidemontelimar_13

Guide, the second link the first link is the schedule for the M08 Bus and it looks like you can click the day/time and it will tell you the schedule of when that bus is running and what time it will stop an the bus stop.

the second link... is for the train? i just wasn't sure.

also you posted 'Not running saturday, sunday and public holidays.' is the M08 bus not running on saturday, sunday and holidays or is it the train? based on the link for the M08 bus it appears that the bus is running on the weekend.

I ask because i will only be in the area for the weekend, just a saturday and a sunday so if you could clarify which method of transporation (the M08 bus or the train) is not running saturday, sunday and public holidays that would be great!

thank you all again!!!

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to base myself? Help pls

Not to worry.The M08 bus is running everyday as well as TER trains.But SOME trains and buses are not.Hence my translation of the train schedule on the 2nd link.Tous les jours=everyday.

www.lepilote.com/horaires_ligne/index.asp…

A click on the movement timetable for the return,for instance,shows that the 16:45 and 18:30 buses are not running on the W.E.

A click on any bus stop also shows useful maps and google street views...

Hope it clarifies.

Have a nice weekend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to base myself? Help pls

ohhh thank you for clarifying!!!

yes, this link is very helpful. Good to see where exactly the bus stops are and the timetable is helpful too.

thank you for the assistance.

getting excited for the trip :-)

15. Re: Where to base myself? Help pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:15