We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthdaycake?

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Topic
Birthdaycake?

Hi Everybody,

looking forward to my Marseille-birthday trip. Any suggestions on where to eat birthday cake? Somewhere to sit down, nice, posh with really good cake?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Marloes

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthdaycake?

marseille mey not be the best place to just have cake, but you are looking for a Patisserie-Salon de The, I found these 2:

- Sylvain Depuichaffray seems to hold a solid reputation but are closed Aug1 - 18. You don't give your dates.

http://www.sylvaindepuichaffray.fr/?lang=fr

- Laurent Favre-Mot: very off beat:

9 rue Breteuil

13001 Marseille

France

Phone number +33 4 91 33 12 06

You could also try Aix en Provence, more salon de the-ish.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthdaycake?

Sylvain D. is hands down the best patissier in town IMO.

Mina Kouk also has a very good rep, though I haven't tried her personally. Here's the TA page on her, but she's also well liked by locals. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187253-…

Edited: 19 July 2014, 20:25
Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthdaycake?

Algerian restaurant & birthday cake...hmmm....for lunch or dinner before the cake maybe?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthdaycake?

If I were celebrating a birthday in south of France, I think I'd choose a St. Tropezienne, a delicious cake that has a layer of pastry cream between two layers of a yellow cake. Top dusted with confectioners sugar. Check it out online.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthdaycake?

Tarte Tropezienne...great choice! Maybe hard to find whole in a salon de the to serve as birthday cake.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthdaycake?

We found them in many patisseries in Languedoc recently and even in InterMarche; those in patisseries cost 4x as much and tasted at least that much better!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthdaycake?

Not hard to find I agree if your looking for a slice to eat on the go or one to buy and take home. That wasn't the question.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthdaycake?

Thank you all for your suggestions. We will be there 8-11 August, so that might make it a challenge as well!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthdaycake?

Yes, traditionally many places are closed in August. Really depends what you want. If just a nice place to eat a piece of cake or pastry and call it birthday cake, you can look at Les Arcenaulx.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthdaycake?

Or try one of the five star hotels: the InterContinental Hotel Dieu or Sofitel Vieux Port which both have great views. No idea what the cakes are like but the InterConti has one Michelin star.

Get answers to your questions about Marseille