We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille Calanque Visit - Private Boat or Trek

1 post
Save Topic
Marseille Calanque Visit - Private Boat or Trek

I am planning a trip to Marseilles in May 2015 with my wife. We're a young newly married couple and will be driving down from Gorges du Verdon. We have just one day in Marseilles and we intend to see the Calanques. My top places to visit are "Parc National des Calanques," "Calanque de Morgiou" & "Calanque de Sugiton." I'd like to stop at some of the sites/beaches for a little while and take pictures. My preferred time of visit is from 3pm till sunset. If possible and affordable I'd like to book a small boat/yatch for a private trip.

I would like to know,

1.) Are there better sites than above or if more than above can be accommodated in the time that we have?

2.) What would be the estimate cost of such hire & which company can provide it?

I'm also open to trekking in the area and visiting the Calanaques on foot. I'm a photographer so would like the opportunity to shoot the nicer areas.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marseille Calanque Visit - Private Boat or Trek

We were there for a week in late May this year but the public ferries were not running, supposedly because of high winds, but it may have been due to the lower number of tourists not making the trip worthwhile.

The ferries did however go to the Ile du Frioul which is well worth a visit if interested in trekking.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marseille Calanque Visit - Private Boat or Trek

The Park National des Calanques spans from Marseille to La Ciotat, so yes in one day you need to choose.

If you are doing it from the Marseilles side, then drive to Luminy, plenty of parking and do the trek on the Chemin de Grande Randonnee for a while. For Sugiton, you need to go off the official trail and down a pretty steep slope.

I would suggest going to Cassis rather than Marseille. En Vau is the most spectacular calanque.

I am not sure about the private tours, never did one, nor if they can drop you off at a calanque or not.

In May, the calanques should be open every day from Cassis and it is a several hour trek. There is a parking lot before reaching Cassis that gets you closer to En Vau.

3. Re: Marseille Calanque Visit - Private Boat or Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:17