We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

Which Saint-Remy-de-Provence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

Hi

I have booked us for 6 nights in Bonnieux end of May. Now I wonder if we should do 2 nights in St. Remy so we can see that and Baux, then move on to the other place for 4 nights. Maybe the hassle of moving is not worth the moving around, and we can drive back there. Any thoughts please.

1. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 December 2015, 17:18
Edited: 20 December 2015, 17:18
Ottawa
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

You're probably right, that's the same thing my husband said. I thought it would also give us a variety of places for dinners, rather than 6 in one village. My understanding is that people stay in their own villages for dinner due to the drive at night, plus if you have some wine. Is that correct?

3. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 December 2015, 17:18
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

I strongly suggest you split.

My husband and I are fans of multiple bases. We would rather change hotels than do more driving and do like to have wine with dinner and shorter trips home.

We stayed in Bonnieux for 3 days and loved it. We toured the Luberon from there. Also a few days in cassis, Aix and Nice.

An hour drive with traffic maybe More, at night on unfamiliar roads? Not fun.

Provence
Level Contributor
807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

I would split in between Bonnieux and st Remy. Bonnieux is lovely but very quiet.

A wider choice of restaurants in St Remy and a different feel.

Hope this will help

Do not hesitate of you need more advise

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

I would agree Bonnieux is very quite. Near St Remy you have the monastery of St Paul de Mausole, where Van gogh stayed, and the roman ruins of Glanum. You are also within easy reach of Tarascon which has a lovely castle on the Rhone and Arles which is full of Roman ruins and has a cathedral too, as well as being lovely to walk around.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

For me, the hassle of moving would not be worth it. IMO, nothing is "that far" away in that part of Provence. Several years ago we stayed about 10 days near Gordes and enjoyed taking day trips each day to the various perched villages of the Luberon as well as to Les Baux, Vaison, St. Remy, Arles, Ile sur la Sorgue, Seguret, etc. and even as far east as Moustiers.

Happy planning!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

As you may have guessed by now, there are no right or wrong answers here, just personal preferences. I would probably split my six nights in Bonnieux but would not necessarily settle in St. Remy (another personal preference). I would base in/around Uzes (also, very walkable small town) or go North toward the Dentelles for a different feel.

Maine
Level Contributor
677 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

Hi, You asked about why travellers tend to stay in villages were they eat dinner. I am usually the driver and I would not drive after an evening meal and wine. Wine has more percentage of alcohol than in the states and the legal alcohol limit is really, really low. I always stay in the town where we plan to eat with a carafe of wine.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: second guessing 6 nights in Luberon

I always have wine with dinner. If I'm driving I limit it to one glass. Over a meal that takes an hour, usually more, that will neither impair one's driving judgment or get you sent to the French pokey. There are a number of very good restaurants within a 15-20 minute drive of Bonnieux, so if the driver can restrain him/herself you can enjoy them. That said, we like to move around. It's no hassle for us as we travel rather lightly. We'd rather spend a few minutes extra checking in and out on a travel day than an hour driving back to our lodging. But that's us. We seem to be in the minority as we aren't fans of St. Remy. Nothing wrong with it, but we don't find it very charming. Decide what you want to do and see and stay close to the center of all that.