We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay in Provence

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Short stay in Provence

We want to base ourselves in Provence for about 5 days and see the best of the villages and sites.we would prefer not to hire a car but use local transport. Is this feasible? What town would be the most central and accessible to good local buses etc

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay in Provence

I've stayed in western Provence many times without a car because I can't drive. I would say it's perfectly doable, particularly as your will be a short stay. You do need to plan carefully.

Avignon is the best local transport hub. The most useful local buses are here:

http://www.lepilote.com/horaires/?rub_code=23 and Cartreize is the most useful

and here vaucluse.fr/transvaucluse/infos_horaires.php

Local trains are here ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx and if you click on 'Mon parcours' you get a list of timetables for the different lines.

You put this question on the St Remy forum so I wonder if you are thinking of staying there. It's a lovely place, and you can get a bus direct to Arles, Avignon, Tarascon and in July and August or weekends in June and September to les Baux. From Avignon you can go nearly anywhere accessible by public transport: all the above plus Uzes, Apt, Carpentras, l'Isle sur la Sorgue, Fontaine de Vaucluse . . .

Planning is all important as there are often only one or two buses a day to places and they may be commuter buses so travelling the opposite direction to the way you want to go.

Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay in Provence

Remember if you stay in a larger city like Arles or Avignon, you can get access to the local train as well

www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Paca/fr/Default.aspx

Here is another usefull link for bus in Provence

http://www.seeprovence.com/travel/buses.html

Hope this will help

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay in Provence

I am thinking of staying a week in Provence at the end of Oct. What itinerary would people suggest and should we base ourselves in one place? We have driven in France many times but not in this area. Thanks

Israel
Level Contributor
262 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay in Provence

azure93, this area is not more or less complicated to drive in compared to other areas of France, so you shouldn't have any problem hiring a car. It is definitely recommended for maximal flexibility.

Itinerary and how many bases you use depends on your plans. Provence is very large, what do you want to focus on - Roman antiquities ? Wine villages ? Riviera beaches? Mountains and canyons ? City atmosphere?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short stay in Provence

azure, I suggest that you start your own thread, since your question is buried here under a year-old thread.

I have not visited at the end of October, and also suggest that you check re seasonal closing of smaller hotels and/or restaurants. Otherwise, if this is your first visit to Provence, than I recommend that you split your week into a stay in a village in the Luberon (3-4 days, assuming all is open) and somewhere in/about St. Remy (again, 3-4 days). This will provide for less driving time as you venture out on your day trips. Of course, you can also rent a gite or apartment for a week and do your day trips from a single base.

Get a Michelin Green Guide for Provence and a map so that you can learn re the lay of the land and driving distances involved.

6. Re: Short stay in Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15