We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

We are spending 5 days exploring Provence from St Remy and would like to have advise about where to visit. We like quaint as well as historical. Also, we are traveling from St Remy to Cinque Terre Italy and are considering a train, any advise? We will have a car, but want the easiest, most direct route. Although if there is great scenery and things to see on the way we may opt for keeping our car.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

For staying overnight in Italy on the way, stops by the Intercity trains include Bordighera, San Remo, Diano Marina, Alassio, Albenga and Finale Ligure. They're all different. A personal favourite is Finale Ligure. The tourist season in all these places is more-or-less over after the beginning of September.

Or for a big city stop, try Genoa visitgenoa.it/en/nuovo_brand_genovamorethant…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

My sister and I are also doing this trip and from my research we are going to catch a bus to Genoa from Aix en Provence, then train from Genoa to Riomaggiore. At least we are not getting on and off the trains at the border and although a six hour trip (actually shorter than the trains anyway), it saves handling our luggage to different platforms etc. so will be more relaxing. The bus leaves Aix at 9.30 and arrives in Genoa at 15.30 where we will catch the train to CT, arriving 17.30. We are staying in St Remy the last week of September but booked our last night in Aix so it was more convenient to hop on the bus the next morning. Have a look at the website Rome2Rio.com, it's fantastic to find info on how to get from A to B.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

My sister and I are also doing this trip and from my research we are going to catch a bus to Genoa from Aix en Provence, then train from Genoa to Riomaggiore. At least we are not getting on and off the trains at the border and although a six hour trip (actually shorter than the trains anyway), it saves handling our luggage to different platforms etc. so will be more relaxing. The bus leaves Aix at 9.30 and arrives in Genoa at 15.30 where we will catch the train to CT, arriving 17.30. We are staying in St Remy the last week of September but booked our last night in Aix so it was more convenient to hop on the bus the next morning. Have a look at the website Rome2Rio.com, it's fantastic to find info on how to get from A to B.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

While the ID bus to Genoa is an excellent route from Aix en Provence, it is not usually the fastest route from St Remy which is the departure point for the original questioner. Particularly as the original poster had a rental car and could therefore potentially drive to a drop-off point at Menton on the Italian border.

Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

We too are traveling from Nice to CT in Sep. Would we pick up the train to Vintimille from Nice then change trains there to Monterosso? Yes Sep will be busy, we are resigned to it but have already booked accommodation. Unfortunately it is the only time of year for us to go job wise.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

Yes, you take a local French train from Nice to Vintimille, then Italian trains from Ventimiglia to Monterosso.

At present, there is one train a day that travels from Nice to Milan (via Genoa), but it does not have a time that would be useful to you. There might be more trains from France into Italy by September, or this train might have been withdrawn.

Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

Sydneynick, given that lack of trains it sounds as if we would be spending alot of time travelling thus reducing our time in CT. From CT we are going to Florence for 4 days, would we be better to fly to Florence from Nice and then do day trips to Tuscany, forgetting CT all together? Not interested in spending 6 hours round trip on a day trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

I did not make myself clear. There is currently one train a day that goes from Nice to Genoa without the need to change trains at Ventimiglia. The trains from Nice to Ventimiglia run every 30 minutes, and there are many Italian trains onwards from Ventimiglia.

See www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag to change to English and looking fro trains from Ventimiglia to Monterosso.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

You cannot fly from Nice to Florence. (except by expensive and slow two-leg flights) You can fly direct from Nice to Venice or Rome. but not Florence.

There are additional direct trains from Nice to Italy being introduced on April 12. and it is likely that these will be at the same times in September in which case departures at 08.09 or 14.09 will see you into Florence in 6h 46 with one easy level change at Milano Centrale. Advance fares for the through journey from www.trenitalia.com (click the UK flag first for English) start at €34 each.

These trains can also be used to access Monterosso and the other Cinque Terre stations with just one change at Genova Piazza Principe, avoiding the change in Ventimiglia see www.trenitalia.com - the 14.09 departure from Nice gives the day's fastest time to Monterosso of only 4.5 hours, but certain connections with the additional change at Ventimiglia are faster than the connection off the 08.09.

California
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Traveling from st remy to cinque Terre

I am currently researching the same destination for my trip next year, and based on the feedback I have received from Trip Advisor members, the train from Nice/Menton to Ventimiglia and from there to Monterosso is the best option. While it is a 6 hour train ride, the travel goes quickly, the views from the train are beautiful and you can use this time to rest or catch up on reading. BTW, i love Cinque Terre. I have been there in the Fall and Summer & it is lovely, with or without tourists.