We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toulon to Cassis

Which Toulon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Easley
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Toulon to Cassis

Hi,

We will be doing the cruise ship docking in Toulon deal in June. It seems that Cassis has a lot going for it. We plan on taking the train to the Cassis stop which I understand is 2 miles from the town. Can we catch a shuttle (probably 7 people) or will we walk?

Also if anyone has other locations from Toulon I should check out that you really like.....I would appreciate any suggestions. Just trying to settle on something ......I know we could spend a month or a lifetime in the area?

Happy Trails!

Charles

Provence
Level Contributor
806 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toulon to Cassis

Here is the link from The tourist office site for the bus shuttle service from the station to the village center

ot-cassis.com/fr/bus-intra-urbain-la-marcoul…

Eastward you also have some nice village like Le lavandou but those are more like sea resort so my guess wouldbe that Cassis is the best spot to visit. And, time allowing, you could do a boat trip to visit the wonderful calanques. A must !

Hope this help

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toulon to Cassis

From Toulon, I would get the train in the other direction, to Hyeres, if I were you. It's not only much closer than Cassis, the train stops in the town centre. From the station you can either get a bus down the Giens peninsula to the beaches or tour fondue from which you can take a boat to the island of Porquerolles, or walk (about 20 minutes) in the other direction up to the mediaeval town and the parks and castle above it.

here's the bus timetable

reseaumistral.com/ftp/img_lignes/fiche_horai…

and here's the train timetable from Toulon to Hyeres. As you'll see, it's only 20 minutes or so.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/fiche_01_2…

This is the same timetable for trains to Cassis, if you should decide on Cassis. IMO the issue with Cassis is that the bus connections from the station don't necessarily correspond with the arrival of the trains which can be a right pain, as while a two mile walk isn't difficult if you are fit, if the weather's broiling and you want to hike along to the calanques or something, it expends energy you'll be needing later on.

Easley
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Toulon to Cassis

It's hard to decide when there is only one day when you could use a month, but I appreciate your ideas!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toulon to Cassis

Good points from ChicChantal re Cassis. Crazy that the bus shuttle into town doesn't always connect with the train. The other point to mention is that Cassis station is on a hill - not too bad on the way in/ down, not so great on the way back! Plus it's a busy road with lots of traffic. Here is some more information about what to see and do in Cassis and the various transport connections: http://bit.ly/Hw5QPs

Edited: 03 February 2013, 13:32
5. Re: Toulon to Cassis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Toulon